• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

It's Official...The 717's are going to Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My gut tells me you didnt read VDV's letter very close. He said lift will be the same, not a 1:1 conversion of 717s to 737s. Our fleet will shrink. Count on it.

This is what he said: "Our intent is to manage a relatively flat fleet as the 717s transition out by substituting the needed lift with 737 aircraft."

Flat FLEET to me means aircraft number. The 717s are part of the fleet. As recently as last weekend the term "1 for 1 exchanged" was used by Flt Ops. His statement can indeed be taken either way, but i'll reserve judgement until I hear more.

And miss making your life miserable? Never! This isn't about finding new work or attacking my future captains. It's about SWA not being honorable, EVER! From the process agreement to the AIP. This is all of our futures. I don't have a single beef with a SWA pilot. Not even Kool Aid drunk, brainwashed Waveflyer. SWA simply needs to get their crap together. I would be probably be just as annoyed if I were in your shoes. SWA just officially made this harder than it should have been.
well, we agree, both sides will be more pissed than ever thought. Nice job SWA!!

The best part of this deal is SWA is paying Delta $150,000 per month per aircraft to take the MD-95's off their hands.That will be $13,200,000 a month, $158,000,000 a year until the lease's start to expire in 2017. That will be over $475,200,000 for the first 3 years the 88 MD-95's are in in DAL colors. Probably close to a $Billion when all the leases expire. Was it really worth that to take a first class product off the market?

Me thinks SWA and DL play CHESS!
SWAPA and ALPA play CHECKERS!

My first thought when I heard the announcement many moons ago...."I got a bad feeling about this!"

Now forgive me if my math is off, but crunching some numbers here at 11pm, why do I have this feeling that every single Airtran 717 captain is about to get boned? Yikes! I did not see this coming (re: Delta 717 deal). Good luck to ya'll, but this SWA-AAI SLI does not bode well for those about to lose their left seats.

Kool aid, nice. Yeah that's me. Try experienced- and healed up from my own beaten dog syndrome. I've had management's that were harsh, greedy, and unethical- SWA doesn't deserve what you guys are throwing at them.
Lear- what I take exception to is the assertion that this contingency wasn't taken into account during SLI negotiations. It's always been a real possibility and the 717 was NEVER promised to be around for the duration of the agreement. It is misrepresenting yourselves to say it was. Or that this possibility wasn't openly talked about. That feels like more ALPA games. (which again, why wouldn't they poison as much of the well as they can?)

That's not what the SIA says.

On 1/1/15, only the pilots who are senior enough to hold 737 CA per the global seniority list can upgrade. With known attrition from age 65 retirements at AAI (not including medical out and other issues), there's 373 pilots who can hold 737 CA on 1/1/15. 36 aircraft is approximately 250 or so CA's, so approximately 120 pilots will be F/O's waiting to upgrade first on 1/1/15.

The other 200+ AirTran 737 CA's who WERE going to be 717 CA's at Southwest are now going to be F/O's for many years to come.

That said, can we NOT get into a pissing match with each other about this? It wasn't the SWA pilots who decided to sell/sublease the 717's after the entire SLI was crafted around them and the protections for their pilots... taking it out on each other doesn't help.

So- what's changed?
Nothing for over a year.
2nd half of 2013= 16 717's going to delta.
Then 36 in 2014 and 36 in 2015.
Looking at APC and a cursory glance at this deal, I don't see how you guys lose money over what you make now- esp knowing our work rules and schedules- so what's the deal?
You'll have my empathy if you can prove worthy of it.
So far, youre on my same list of the guys here who felt entitled to a six year upgrade so are now pissed at the world- dumb- make $180k and mad bc we haven't doubled again in the worst recession since the depression and they don't get the same career their predecessors did. It's immature and I get tired of the immaturity and airline inexperience both sides display on here.
Esp from you Lear, when you should know better through experience.

And again with the 32%_ AT was FORMED IN 1996- such stupid STUPID MISLEADING MATH TO COME UP WITH THAT NUMBER. And you guys accuse Swa of being unethical-
I know these guys- and it's ridiculous.

Looking at APC and a cursory glance at this deal, I don't see how you guys lose money over what you make now- esp knowing our work rules and schedules- so what's the deal?

Everything isn't always about money, Wave.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back