Isp

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The "free" service is only 10 hrs a month

You are also riddled with riciculous advertising that takes up the lower 20% of your screen unless you cough up $10 a month.

Just get yourself a Free Trial AOL CD and get a new screen name every 6 months.

flydog said:
The "free" service is only 10 hrs a month

You are also riddled with riciculous advertising that takes up the lower 20% of your screen unless you cough up $10 a month.

Just get yourself a Free Trial AOL CD and get a new screen name every 6 months.

I think you meant every 45 days. If it were 6 months, no one would bother paying for it.;)

AOL is the best in my opinion, many more options by far. It is not "cheap" but it sure beats having pop up ads and all kinds of advertising and surveys continue to post and bother you while you are online. I tried netzero and was not impressed at all to say the least. You get what ya pay for.

AOL has my vote hands down.

3 5 0

350DRIVER said:

AOL has my vote hands down.

3 5 0

AOL is like a disease on your computer. Worse than a virus. I would run, not walk, as fast as you can, away from AOL.

I am certain there are many others who share this opinion.

Join the 21st century ...

It is called AO-HeII for a reason. I agree ... run away.

I got Roadrunner cable online about a year ago and am absolutely thrilled with it. It costs a heck of a lot more than dial-up (I pay $45/mo.) but I make up the cost difference because I don't have a home phone. I just use a mobile for all my calls, and the cable for the internet. It works out very well.

Now, when I borrow somebody else's dial-up connection while traveling, it seems like it takes hours just to read e-mail.

I did use NetZero in the past, and I wasn't happy with it. The paid service is OK ... I used both the paid service and the free, and the free was awful. Tons of banner and popup ads. No banners on the paid side, but an above-average number of pop-ups, and it seemed like my NetZero e-mail was forever filled with junk mail. No such problems on RR.

Good luck!

R

I work for an ISP and I can say that AOL gets picked on alot. Anybody technical would understand that AOL just plain sucks. A few years ago they did not renew their domain name so for a few hours www.aol.com did not exist. Why pay that much when you can find dial up providers that provide the same service for half the price. Im not talking about net zero but there are tons out there that give you the exact same internet for cheaper.

If you load aol on your computer it you'll have a hell of a time getting it off. It writes stuff to your registry that prevent loading programs for another isp as well if you decide you don't want it.

I have a side business with a company called Excel. We have dial-up for $16.99. You get 10 email accounts, 25MB of storage, access to your email from the internet (or you can use Outlook or something else to download it) and thousands of dial up numbers all over the country. I've had it 4 years and it has worked great for me, especially when traveling. You can check it out on my website: http://www.globalgoldmine.com

If you need more info, PM me.

What ever happened to the thread about flightinfo offering dial up service? I was gonna give that a shot.

Qwest and Microsoft

I got Qwest DSL at home when it finally came to my neighborhood. It was fine, but I was gravely unhappy with the help desk, which I'll explain below. Then, for reasons never explained to me, Qwest switched to "MSN Powered by Qwest." It's been fine. Good speed, at 640K, and reliable. I was skeptical of web-based e-mail at first, but I grew to like it.

Qwest gave me the runaround for several months for Windows XP drivers for my Intel DSL modem. They kept saying that the drivers were forthcoming. This went on for three months post XP introduction. Finally, a Qwest person told me just to use the Windows 2000 drivers on the CDROM (I actually should have figured that out before.). XP found them immediately and loaded them. They work just fine, and maybe better than the XP drivers Qwest finally put online. I should have had that answer right away; instead, Qwest bounced me to MSN, who bounced me to Intel. Terrible customer service.

I, too, am not an AOL fan. I tried it for awhile. It does gum up your computer if you don't want it.

I strongly recommend DSL service if you can get it. The convenience, speed and having your voice line free are definitely worth the extra cost.

Latest resources

Back