• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is the Piaggio a two man crew or not?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I believe the question was, is the Piaggio a two man crew or not? Your op specs have no bearing on what is required for the rest of us. I understand that two pilots and an ATP are requirements for your company but the aircraft is certified single pilot and can also be flown as such under part 135 as long as you are using an autopilot in lieu of a second in command.

You are correct about the original question. However, the question was asked in the Fractional forum so the discussion of the ops specs requirements is justified. The point has been made that it is certified as a single pilot aircraft, but under 91K it is operated with two pilots per the ops specs.

Dilligaff

If you are operating just Pt. 91 then no. What they are refering to is Fractional ops (Pt 91K) as below.

§ 91.1049 Personnel.

(a) Each program manager and each fractional owner must use in program operations on program aircraft flight crews meeting §91.1053 criteria and qualified under the appropriate regulations. The program manager must provide oversight of those crews.
(b) Each program manager must employ (either directly or by contract) an adequate number of pilots per program aircraft. Flight crew staffing must be determined based on the following factors, at a minimum:
(1) Number of program aircraft.
(2) Program manager flight, duty, and rest time considerations, and in all cases within the limits set forth in §§91.1057 through 91.1061.
(3) Vacations.
(4) Operational efficiencies.
(5) Training.
(6) Single pilot operations, if authorized by deviation under paragraph (d) of this section.
(c) Each program manager must publish pilot and flight attendant duty schedules sufficiently in advance to follow the flight, duty, and rest time limits in §§91.1057 through 91.1061 in program operations.
(d) Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, when any program aircraft is flown in program operations with passengers onboard, the crew must consist of at least two qualified pilots employed or contracted by the program manager or the fractional owner.
(e) The program manager must ensure that trained and qualified scheduling or flight release personnel are on duty to schedule and release program aircraft during all hours that such aircraft are available for program operations.

I would think a Kingair 200 and a Piaggio would fall under the same regulations. Both are turbo prop aircraft under 12500lbs. So single pilot operations should be do-able for 91 and 135.

whiskytangofoxt, what kind of operation is your company?

Ummm.....just a wild ass guess.........Avantair, the only US fractional that operates a fleet of Piaggio's. Most fracs require 2 pilots, especially with the volume of operations conducted. And don't even get me started on the differences between a King Air xxx (insert flavor) and a Piaggio.

Ummm.....just a wild ass guess.........Avantair, the only US fractional that operates a fleet of Piaggio's. Most fracs require 2 pilots, especially with the volume of operations conducted. And don't even get me started on the differences between a King Air xxx (insert flavor) and a Piaggio.
Settle down ghost rider.
a turbo prop is a turbo prop no matter how pretty it is, or how many pilots you have to cramm in it.

Last edited:
Sec. 135.4

(a) An "eligible on-demand operation" is an on-demand operation conducted under this part that meets the following requirements:
(1) Two-pilot crew. The flightcrew must consist of at least two qualified pilots employed or contracted by the certificate holder.

Settle down ghost rider.
a turbo prop is a turbo prop no matter how pretty it is, or how many pilots you have to cramm in it.

I have to differ... The Piaggio, while still a 'lowly' tuboprop, regularly moves back and forth across the country during it's travels. Admittedly, a fuel stop is usually a requirement, but Sun Valley to Florida makes for a good leg. Last tour, I crossed the US 4 times in a week, usually at FL 390 or 410.
That's what makes the job so much fun!

Also, didn't hear a whole lot of KingAir chatter up there...

I also have to differ...

I don't know of too many turboprops that require the pilot to pull back the power to maintain 250kias below 10,000'.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back