• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

iPad as an EFB

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anybody give any thought to EU countries (read France) acceptance of all this? I'd hate to leave the paper at home, get a frog ramp check & be up the creek...

anyone else having a problem with the ForeFlight database. i just updated my ipad with the latest version and it dumped my database. This is the second time!

Anybody having trouble getting a GPS signal with a Bad Elf GPS through electrically heated windscreens?

I have a Gns 5870, the Bluetooth receiver and haven't had an issue. I decided on it over the bad elf because it has it's own battery. Yesterday it was showing within 1 kt of the fms gs, and within 5' or so for altitude, through a heated windscreen.

Maybe the bad elf is affected more based on where the iPad is, as they are connected?

Oh and BTW Jepp is working on putting charts and Geographic referencing on the charts.

Are you talking enroute charts? Hope so.

As for Foreflight, check to see how much space is available. If you're close to the limit, for some reason it can flip out. That's one place they really need to take notes from Jepp.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you already have iPads? Will you have to go through the entire approval process again if and when you go to ipad2s, or whatever generation they are on when it's time to replace the iPads?

I doubt you'll need another approval for the iPad 2. The FAA is way behind in this area. It seems having a device like this would be an easy instant approval.

Are you talking enroute charts? Hope so.

As for Foreflight, check to see how much space is available. If you're close to the limit, for some reason it can flip out. That's one place they really need to take notes from Jepp.

Yeah Bleeds, they're working on including enroute with their mobile TC. They are also working on geographical referencing on their approach charts.

I haven't tried my bad elf out since I only got it on Thursday but will get to try it out tomorrow. I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't going to be disappointed with the electrically heated windscreens in the Challenger and have to return it.
I also bought a four foot 30 pin extension cable for the bad elf so that I could position it on the glare shield if needed.

Thx for your response Bleeds and I'll report back to this thread if it doesn't work for me.

Last edited:
Yeah Bleeds, they're working on including enroute with their mobile TC. They are also working on geographical referencing on their approach charts.

I haven't tried my bad elf out since I only got it on Thursday but will get to try it out tomorrow. I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't going to be disappointed with the electrically heated windscreens in the Challenger and have to return it.
I also bought a four foot 30 pin extension cable for the bad elf so that I could position it on the glare shield if needed.

Thx for your response Bleeds and I'll report back to this thread if it doesn't work for me.

If the bad elf works half as well as the Bluetooth one does, you'll really like it. I'm using mine with foreflight, and it it works great.

Awesome. Just got into ATL. Used the bad elf in the Challenger and it works great with one exception, it really sucks down the juice. Went from the Philly area to ATL and landed with 63% battery life. The flight was only 1:37.
If I have to go cost to cost, I'm gonna have to plug in.

The other thing was I never downloaded the IFR enroute so I was limited to the amount of coverage. No biggy, I fixed that now.
Other then that.......AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!
My boss whom I fly with was so impressed that he doesn't want to wait to get the second one.

Last edited:
if you are getting another one, the bluetooth one doesn't use the ipad's battery. it has it's own battery with a claimed life of 10 hours, which seems accurate.

Latest resources

Back