• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

iPad as an EFB

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What would you guys say the Economic and non-economic benefits are to having the IPAD in the cockpit? Doing a justification for downtown.

Looks like ultra covered the Jepp angle, as for govt charts. . .

-Paper charts run us about $1,700 annaully.

-ForeFlight + Verizon 3G supscriptions (x2) run us about $1,150 annually.

Non-economic benefits? Another means of adding to situational awareness on georeferenced charts. A backup way to download weather. Lots more cabinet space for Crown Royal.

Last edited:
But the one question remains
is the iPad FAA approved ??
Can I legally take it in the cockpit and legally use it for IFR navigation ?

A simple yes or no with the appropriate link is sufficient.

Tx

We are trying to get our EFBs approved from our POI. He's onboard with it and since EJM did all the pressure testing, he will get all that data from them. He still wants EMI data from our DOM, which isnt too hard. The hard part is sifting thru all the 8900 info. There are lots of little rules pertaining to installation (is it attached?) are there plugs available in the cockpit for recharging? How charged does the battery before takeoff? What contigencies are there if they fail?

It's a little unclear but we are going to have to carry paper for six months.

I have used the old EFBs and the iPad is a million times better!

We are trying to get our EFBs approved from our POI. He's onboard with it and since EJM did all the pressure testing, he will get all that data from them. He still wants EMI data from our DOM, which isnt too hard. The hard part is sifting thru all the 8900 info. There are lots of little rules pertaining to installation (is it attached?) are there plugs available in the cockpit for recharging? How charged does the battery before takeoff? What contigencies are there if they fail?

We are also one opspec issuance away from using iPad as an EFB. What made it easier for us was, #1 EJM approval, and we also have a class 1 hardwired EX500 with JeppView for primary, iPad secondary, and paper back up for 6 months. This however will open the doors for future aircraft without hardwired chart viewers to have iPad EFB. $75 per year per aircraft for all its charting. BTW... we needed to impliment a training program for the devices, which foreflight puts out in PDF format.

I'm guessing you already have iPads? Will you have to go through the entire approval process again if and when you go to ipad2s, or whatever generation they are on when it's time to replace the iPads?

Perhaps all the POI, OpSpec, mounting method, decompression testing talk should be saved for the Charter section of FI. Correct me if I'm wrong but there is no "approval" needed by a Part 91 operator needed so long as the AC 91-78 and AC 120-76B are read and followed during implementation.

A Part 91 flight department ought to be able to buy a couple iPads, install the chart viewer of their preference, train pilots on the software in the way they see fit, back the info up with paper for an unspecified amount of time while evaluating any conflicts to communication/navigation the PED may create, then ditch the paper.

What would you guys say the Economic and non-economic benefits are to having the IPAD in the cockpit? Doing a justification for downtown.

Just got off the phone with Jepp.

$783.00 for CONUS charts on Mobile TC plus $70.00 for Paper enroute. This vs $2100.00 for all Q-Service paper, saving about $1250 a year, minus the cost of 3G service if you choose to go that way.
Now you can take that $70.00 a year and get Foreflight and get enroute charts and a whole lot more for about the same price.
The ipad with Jepp Mobile TC will pay for itself in a years time.

Oh and BTW Jepp is working on putting charts and Geographic referencing on the charts. Told me to look for it by 4Q this year. They've been overwhelmed with requests.

Anybody having trouble getting a GPS signal with a Bad Elf GPS through electrically heated windscreens?

Latest resources

Back