Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

generaltso

Marcy Projects
The last interview question (pax says you've been drinking) had some really great discussion.

Here is another one, hopefully we will get the same type of discussion:

Flight attendant calls you during the climbout and says one of the pax is having a heart attack. The airport you just departed from is now below minimums.

What do you do. WHAT DO YOU DO?

Our aircraft are equiped with the defibulator (sp?) kits, so my answer would be go to the takeoff alternate, use the defibulator, and contact medlink.

Last edited:
What if you didn't need a takeoff alternate, the weather went below minimums after you took off? The nearest airport above minimums is 25 mins away. Declare an emergency and try to break minimums to get on the ground?

Pretty straight foward answer for interview. At least in that you know they don't want you busting mins and risking all lives onboard.

On the other hand, in real life, it might be worth mentioning to ATC that you can't return because you need 1800 rvr (for instance) and that you have a pax who might die enroute to an alternate. You might get a sudden report of the wx being just what you need.

Just to make it more interesting, what are you going to do if you are now overweight for landing at the alternate?

The lives of the rest of the pax and the safety of the airplane are more important than one pax.

Land at the nearest suitable airport... While you're filling out the paperwork for the unscheduled landing, contract MX can come out and perform the overweight landing inspection.

If the FA said that a person in the back was having a heart attack this is what I would do. I would get out of my seat go to the back and access the problem. I would determine if the person needed angioplasty or open-heart surgery.

I would then get my trusty heart lung machine out of my flight bag along with my tools, errrr instuments and preform open-heart surgery. All while telling the FO how to fly an approach down to minimums, overweight, with migs on our tales about to shoot us down. Oh yeah let me not forget the hot FA that thinks I'm really smart.

Dumb Question.

If the guy is having a heart attack on takeoff and you have no Defib onboard. He is dead. plain and simple. Take the body to the safe alternate so it dont stink up first class on the way to Hawaii.

If it is a heart attack a defib is his only chance, and a stretch at that...it has to be ON him within a few minutes or forget it...who's going to react that quick on takeoff? ...

Hopefully the F/A's?

singlespeed said:
If the FA said that a person in the back was having a heart attack this is what I would do. I would get out of my seat go to the back and access the problem. I would determine if the person needed angioplasty or open-heart surgery.

I would then get my trusty heart lung machine out of my flight bag along with my tools, errrr instuments and preform open-heart surgery. All while telling the FO how to fly an approach down to minimums, overweight, with migs on our tales about to shoot us down. Oh yeah let me not forget the hot FA that thinks I'm really smart.
I vote for Singlespeed's answer. I have tears in my eyes from laughing!

Kathy

Latest resources

Back