Interview question - part II

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Resume Writer said:
I assumed my answer since this is posted on a regional board, not corporate or Part 135.
Point taken.

The rest of that story is pretty egregious. You sure he knew HOW to do a patch?

That's definitely NOT the way to deal with bad things happening behind you.

TIS

Last edited:
Mel Sharples said:
However, do you really think most HR types at regional airlines are looking for that kind of depth, or have the knowledge to understand that?
Well, I guess my reaction to that question is that this is not generally an HR type question. This is a question most frequently encountered during a captains' board interview. In other words, you will most likely answer this question for technically competent company personnel.

Mel Sharples said:
I agree with TIS in principle. But I caution that if you get too in depth, you may lose the interviewer along the way.
I agree 100% so in the event that you are being asked this question by someone who will not know if you are answering well or not (which is what this would amount to if HR types are asking it), tone it down. Say you'd establish structure in the cabin for dealing with the problem somewhat autonomously so that you are left free to make the decisions that come with operating the aircraft most effectively and safely. Say that you'd include your external resources such as ATC and dispatch as you zero in on an appropriate course of action. Say also that once on the ground you would immediately check in with dispatch and the chief pilot to brief them on the outcome as you have personally assessed it.

Mel Sharples said:
Now if this is a pilot interviewing you, then it is a different story...
Exactly!

Call dispatch

Like most things that seemed to crop up through Indoc. Call dispatch we will take care of it. In fact in our Emergency plan we have a check list for situations including in flight medical. If dispatch is doing their job porperly we would be tracking wx throughout each flight to see if wx gets to mins. I know that i have every departure infront of me and current weather on the radar screen. if any departs get low the capt and dispatch will work together to get alts. Simple release and away you go...

Say you'd establish structure in the cabin for dealing with the problem somewhat autonomously so that you are left free to make the decisions that come with operating the aircraft most effectively and safely. Say that you'd include your external resources such as ATC and dispatch as you zero in on an appropriate course of action. Say also that once on the ground you would immediately check in with dispatch and the chief pilot to brief them on the outcome as you have personally assessed it.

Great answer!

Latest resources

Back