• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Iceman21 said:
Look at your certificate, it will state

Certified Flight Instructor - Instrument Airplane

Not:

Certified Flight Instructor - Instrument
Look at your pilot certificate. It also says "Instrument Airplane".

Does that mean you can go fly a twin without a multi-engine rating as long as you don't look outside? No one has yet answered that question.

MEI 5 hour pic rule.

Can an MEI give instruction, not for the purposes of issuing a rating, and not have 5 hours pic in type? 61.195 (f) is kind of vague. I would be using this for BFRs and IPCs.
Any input is appreciated

pilotmyf said:
Can an MEI give instruction, not for the purposes of issuing a rating, and not have 5 hours pic in type? 61.195 (f) is kind of vague. I would be using this for BFRs and IPCs.
Any input is appreciated
Yes..

(f) Training received in a multiengine airplane, a helicopter, or a powered-lift. A flight instructor may not give training required for the issuance of a certificate or rating in a multiengine airplane, a helicopter, or a powered-lift unless that flight instructor has at least 5 flight hours of pilot-in-command time in the specific make and model of multiengine airplane, helicopter, or powered-lift, as appropriate.

Regarding the subject of the privileges of a Flight Instructor with just a CFI-Instrument Airplane certificate, accompanied by a Commercial AS&MEL, IA. What if the pilot took their Flight Instructor test in a twin verses a single engine airplane. I there a difference in the Flight Instructor's privileges? Certainly the end result is the same looking Flight Instructor certificate.

I say there are no differences in CFI privileges. Therefore, whether the CFI-IA test is taken in a single or a twin, the CFI-IA can teach in either provided they have the appropriate rating on their pilot certificate.

Regarding the subject of the privileges of a Flight Instructor with just a CFI-Instrument Airplane certificate, accompanied by a Commercial AS&MEL, IA. What if the pilot took their Flight Instructor test in a twin verses a single engine airplane. I there a difference in the Flight Instructor's privileges? Certainly the end result is the same looking Flight Instructor certificate.

I say there are no differences in CFI privileges. Therefore, whether the CFI-IA test is taken in a single or a twin, the CFI-IA can teach in either provided they have the appropriate rating on their pilot certificate.

CFII is not class specific.

CFII is not class specific.

Yes, that's true but I know of several instructors who are CFI-Instrument Airplane only. No CFI Airplane Single Engine or Multiengine. They just have a CFI-Instrument Airplane. Can you or anyone tell me what instructing privileges they have?

Yes, that's true but I know of several instructors who are CFI-Instrument Airplane only. No CFI Airplane Single Engine or Multiengine. They just have a CFI-Instrument Airplane. Can you or anyone tell me what instructing privileges they have?

I think a CFI IA who is multi engine rated can give instrument dual in a multi engine airplane.

I think a CFI IA who is multi engine rated can give instrument dual in a multi engine airplane.

So whether a CFI-IA took his/her checkride in a single or twin, they can give instrument dual in a single or multiengine airplane so long as they have that rating on their pilot certificate?

So whether a CFI-IA took his/her checkride in a single or twin, they can give instrument dual in a single or multiengine airplane so long as they have that rating on their pilot certificate?

You have to be rated in it to instruct in it.

Since CFI IA is not class specific, a ME rated pilot who holds only CFI IA can give INSTRUMENT dual in a twin. To give ME dual, you need CFI ME and 5 hours in make and model. It probably wouldn't hurt to have the 5 hours in make and model to give inst dual, and the trainee should be ME rated.

That's how I understand it.

a cfii cannot give instrument in a multi. You have to do single engine ils approach to have a instrument rating added to a multi certificate. The CFII cant instruct single engine approaches in a multi engine airplane.

Latest resources

Back