if you are hired as a captain..... EJA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Just Peachy

Were right in the middle of this training. ( I was hired Aug 20th)

If you come on as an EJA captain you will go to either indocs or Flt Safety first ...... those two items will take 4 weeks for the schooling. You get a break inbetween....
so a couple of more weeks.

After that you will come back to CMH for more performance training on your plane and flight training that includes an oral and flt check, all that lasts about a week... It seems EJA feels compelled to show you the NetJets way of flying because the Flight Safety method aint good enough.

Then you go home (for a week or two) and come back for 25 hours with an IOE. Then the main oral and flight Check (299).

After that, you take some more time off, back again for 100 to 250 hours of supervised flight with another captain, (you are then called and considered a captain in training) and somewhere in the last go around, you are blessed and out on your own.

YOu will not be paid as captain until somewhere after your 2nd or 3rd check flight.. ( we've heard it starts with the 25 hour block, and also heard, you get the bucks at the 299 check) dont know which is right because we havent got that far yet.

If your thinking of taking the FO slot it is about 4 times less painfull in time and checkrides as the Captains slots. Four days of training after flt sim and indocs and your done.

If you screw up your check rides or orals you get two more chances and then your out.......no downgrading to FO. So far for our class, everyone at the company has been very helpful.

We are the 3rd bunch to go through and have been told that out of 30 or so pilots finishing, only 3 have busted out. They didnt tell us the details as to the background of those few.

Choose your future wisely.........:rolleyes:

"IT SEEMS EJA FEELS COMPELLED TO SHOW YOU THE NET JETS WAY OF FLYING BECAUSE THE FLIGHT SAFETY METHOD AIN'T GOOD ENOUGH"......

FYI......1) FSI does not generally know NJA's SOP's and procedures for flying the line. FSI teaches you the airplane, but not the NJA call-outs and what is expcted of you on the line. That is just one reason for the NJA week-long training in the aircraft.

2) From my admittedly limited experience in this business, it is NOT often that the carrier sends you out to fly a LOFT IN THE AIRCRAFT. (That's on top of the 3-6 bang-and-goes that you get.)It takes too much time and costs WAY too much money to be blasting around in the real thing. NJA chooses to do this in an effort to make the training here the best possible. Now, I know that a few hours in an Ultra isn't the same thing as running a 737 around, but it's not cheap either. And they do the same thing in every aircraft in the fleet. Try running a "X" for a few hours and let me know what it costs.

3) Again, from my admittedly limited experience in this business, NJA offers some of the, if not THE, most extensive training out there. For that, I am grateful. Not always do some of the steps make sense to me, but I'll take what they offer in terms of training and will accept all training that anyone wants to give. That's certainly a lot better than the standard aviation fire hose of "just enough to get you through".

4) You were hired off the street as a captain at, in my humble opinion, a pretty fine outfit with what appears to be a bright future. Perhaps I misread the tone of your letter, but me thinks I might be a bit more grateful and enthusiastic about that oportunity and blessing considering the state of affairs in this business right now.

Best wishes and welcome aboard.

Abenaki
Captain
Citation X
NJA

Amen, brothah! What's with this bad-mouthing the company that just hired you? If you don't want that slot, there are a hundred guys who do, so step aside. No? I didn't think so.

Captain

Hired off the street to be a Captain? Your Union allows this? What about the FO's waiting for upgrade? Don't you have a senority system?

In response to Army Pilot......

I don't know the specifics of the contract that allows this, but I do know that the company cannot get enough pilots in house to bid for the upgrade in the Ultra. Because of the way the contract is written, if someone junior to you upgrades in an aircraft other than the one you are flying, you automatically receive captain's
pay.

Therefore, if you're sitting in the right seat of say, an Excel, "X" or Falcon and getting captain's pay as a result of someone junior to you upgrading in another aircraft, there is little incentive to upgrade in the Ultra.

The Ultra lacks an APU, and I don't think that most of them have TCAS or EGPWS though I may be mistaken about that. I think the new Encores (an updated version of the Ultra with significant improvements) do have the TCAS and EGPS but still lack the APU.

Additionally, the Ultra is probably the hardest working aircraft in the fleet doing lots of legs and shorter runs. So, if you're sitting fat, dumb and happy in that beautiful Falcon with a F/A in the back serving you a nice hot, catered meal while the APU blasts cool air on your face and you're doing a couple of legs a day and getting the captain's pay, why would one make the move?

Thus, the lack of pilots going for the left seat in the Ultra. And, ergo, the hiring off the street into that seat.

Of course there are provisions in the contract making sure bids are first offered to NetJets Pilots. But once the bid has been put out and not taken the company can either junior man the CPT position or hire off of the street. There are allot of CPT bid opportunities in every fleet at NJA-you can bid CPT day 1 with the company and probably get it in allot of the various fleets.
There are also bids coming out in the new aircraft we are getting-ie the G200 and there are allot of F/O's getting CPT pay anyway-so allot choose not to upgrade-at least right away.

All of this is causing a shortage of CPT's in the Ultra fleet.

Hope this explains it for ya.

Fly Safe
Chuck

P.S. to ArmyPilot.....

BTW, most people are getting captain's pay within weeks to a few months of being hired......

hired as captain

Hey guys.......I aint badmouthing the company.....I'm callin 'em as I see 'em. and several people have asked to be informed of the process IF you get hired as a captain............

I believe the correct process would be to have an inhouse training program from start to finish and the schoolhouse has told us that is exactly what they have in mind and it will happen by 2005

Since I was already typed in the 560 and EJA doesnt have a LOT of faith in flt safety, why not save the 15,700 bucks by skipping it all together (for already type rated pilots) .... go for the inhouse training,(which I will be doing next) and putting that saved money into our next raise.......

hired as captain?

So what you are saying is a guy from net jets can get captain pay after a few weeks and make $120 more a month than a Flight options FO?

"Since I was already typed in the 560 and EJA doesnt have a LOT of faith in flt safety, why not save the 15,700 bucks by skipping it all together (for already type rated pilots) .... go for the inhouse training,(which I will be doing next) and putting that saved money into our next raise......."

1. Because they want everyone to have a certain level of knowledge and proficiency in type. A type rating doesn't guarantee very much.

2. Because insurance is cheaper if the pilots are trained at FSI.

3. Because the company uses FSI training as a marketing tool.

4. Because the feds won't let them substitute a type rating for initial airplane training.

Latest resources

Back