• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Would you land on a freeway?

• Never

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Of couse, big long strip of pavement with no houses or buildings on it

Votes: 115 75.7%
  • No way to decide, always other factors to consider (This is the cop-out answer)

Votes: 31 20.4%

• Total voters
I was reading through some old posts, and noticed this one. As for the Eisenhower Interstate myth, I live right next to I-70 in KS, and have flown out of SLN for around 4 years, and can assure you that it's not a myth. Now it may not be for all highways, but I've always been told it was for I-70 ONLY. This is because at the same time they were laying I-70, they were building SLN, formerly Schilling AFB, and they wanted the B-52's based there to have some alternatives. I've been told, by guys flying out of SLN for like 30 years, that for every 10 miles of interstate I-70 in KS, that approximately 2 miles are straight for this very reason. Having flown up and down I-70 on X/C's for around 2 years instructing, I must concur, it seems feasibly based on the miles of highway I've seen.

http://www.tfhrc.gov/pubrds/mayjun00/onemileinfive.htm

Highways are for cars. Crazy btch I flew with parked a Lance on a freeway, centerpunched a Mazda 626 and killed the driver. She walked away. The guilt and mental trauma from that incident means she is a fruitloop to this day.

Latest resources

Back