How to get hired

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yip,

I do agree with that a person with the more flight time and the experience will most likely land the job. Asuming that both were there on the same day for the interview.

I got my degree while I was taking my lessons. Before I graduated I was flight instructing for the school.

I look at my degree like this. What if I lost my medical tomorrow? It looks a lot better to have my four year degree on my resume than 3000 hours of flight time. When I am trying to find a job outside of flying.

I look at my degree as a back up plan. Not a waste of time.

Wankel

burned out/bitter?

Mr. Falcon Capt. was that aimed at anyone in particular? And who are you to define anyone else's life. Have you been appointed some special authority to define success and failure? Is your definition of success and failure defined by if I would not do it, then anyone who does it is a looser? Does any of these have anything to do with pursuing a career in aviation? There are options available beyond the narrow thinking of the politically correct on this board. But when we can not give a legitimate response we resort to personal attack. I know too many people many without degrees that I rate as some of finest people I have ever meet in my life. Like the non-degreed enlisted aircrew members from my P-3 crew back in the 60's, whom you could most likely hold a candle to (I will reserve complete judgement because I have not meet you). Based upon humility, content of charter, and willingness to give beyond what most people would consider too much effort for no pay. You have many lessons to learn in life, and you have a long road in front of you.

Re: burned out/bitter?

pilotyip said:
Mr. Falcon Capt. was that aimed at anyone in particular?
Nope. (But hey, if the shoe fits... Don't let me stop you...)

pilotyip said:
And who are you to define anyone else's life.
Where did I do that?

pilotyip said:
Have you been appointed some special authority to define success and failure? Is your definition of success and failure defined by if I would not do it, then anyone who does it is a looser? Does any of these have anything to do with pursuing a career in aviation? There are options available beyond the narrow thinking of the politically correct on this board. But when we can not give a legitimate response we resort to personal attack.
Ut oh... Is that some bitterness I sense? (merely an observation, don't get your undies in an uproar...)

pilotyip said:
I know too many people many without degrees that I rate as some of finest people I have ever meet in my life. Like the non-degreed enlisted aircrew members from my P-3 crew back in the 60's, whom you could most likely hold a candle to (I will reserve complete judgement because I have not meet you). Based upon humility, content of charter, and willingness to give beyond what most people would consider too much effort for no pay. You have many lessons to learn in life, and you have a long road in front of you.
Who mentioned anything about a degree??? I didn't mention anything about degrees... I merely gave a suggestion for a topic that might interest some people on this board, as the topic you decided to regurgitate is obviously going over like a lead ballon.

You are dwelling on this "degree" thing... Your obsession seems to be limited to yourself, as no one else here appears to be interested in your diatribe...

Re: burned out/bitter?

pilotyip said:
"from my P-3 crew back in the 60's, .......... "

Herein lies the first problem!! :p

YIP, just messing with ya. But seriously from one NA to another, it might be time to just chill, have a beer and enjoy the sunshine for a change. They've got sunshine in Detroit, don't they??;)

Re: Re: burned out/bitter?

Falcon Capt said:

You are dwelling on this "degree" thing... Your obsession seems to be limited to yourself, as no one else here appears to be interested in your diatribe...

I have no idea why YIP made the original post, but I believe that he does possess a college degree. So it would seem that the obsession comes from some other area.

enigma

Degree

enigma said:
I have no idea why YIP made the original post, but I believe that he does possess a college degree.
Yip, by his own representations, has Bachelor's and Master's degrees.

I, too, am wondering about why he started this thread.

Get the degree. Having said that, while it is all well and good to start flying to get a leg up on all the Joe Colleges in getting "TJ PIC," the time will come when not having the degree will prevent non-degreed folks from getting jobs to build "TJ PIC."

I understand his point about earning a degree on-line. I would submit, again, that it's better for most people to go to college on campus, get the degree out of the way as quickly as desired, and then concentrate on flying. Finishing school timely while trying to build experience flying is probably too great a workload for most people.

BTW, my $0.02 opinion on this issue is not intended to be "politically correct"; it just seems like common sense to me.

why I posted the thread

Almost all the advice given on this forum is focused on get your degree first. I was giving an alternate to that advice, take it or leave, but don’t bad mouth it, don’t make it an attack on the messenger. (Not you Bobby you are always a gentleman, even when you disagree). I believe if you want to be a career pilot in the airline industry, the degree is not that important at the beginning and it is something that can be gotten later. Now maybe it is really important in the corporate world, where some would consider hanging around people without degree in bad taste. The degree will not get you the job, TJ PIC will, the degree only open doors. My post showed an example of an alternate way into the cockpit, is not a class date at Spirit one those highly sought after jobs, the pilot without the degree got hired in front of the guys with degrees. I am not recommending this path for everyone, but it is an alternative to the traditional 4-yr. degree, CFI and starve for 3 years, scramble for MEL time and end up at age 28 getting your first regional job. I have interviewed too many college degreed who just have not got it. I see them at age 39 where they have never made more than 20K so far in their career; college was a waste of time for these aspiring pilots.

Last edited:
Hey pilotyip,

I don't think anyone here has a problem with you having your opinion about the order in which one gets a degree and flight time. I think the problem is that you only post about that subject, and nothing else. You are beginning to (or do you already) sound like a broken record.

That's all.

Latest resources

Back