• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How much $$$ to charter a A330!?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Let me rephrase: It all my research of her experience she appeared to be very well prepared with all the nessesary equipment, repair expertise, sailing knowlege, etc... and she appeared to have no fault in her mast breaking and was ready to spend weeks at sea awaiting rescue if required.

Would someone older in that same storm have handled it better? Would the mast of the boat still snapped with an older skipper incharge? I don't know....

Bye Bye--General Lee

We don't know, but I think we can say that someone with less skill would probably be dead now and the effort to recover a body would cost much more.

We don't know, but I think we can say that someone with less skill would probably be dead now and the effort to recover a body would cost much more.

Doubtful.....Your mast breaks, WHAT SKILL DO YOU NEED?

Human survival got her through it. It really doesn't take many brain cells to hit an Emergency Sat Beacon and talk into a radio. (save the Relief F/O jokes);)

End of the day, she's OK, that's what's important, but like someone said earlier....she got EXPERIENCE!! Now the parents need to walk a plank....

They say the route taken and time of the year was more dangerous.

I've never been better than when i was 25- I'm more experienced now and don't NEED to be better.

That said- is it any wonder that as the country has gotten more conservative and prosperous we produce so many 22 year old college grads that arent as mature as the rest of the world's 16 year olds? Hell- i wouldn't trust most of america's 25 year olds with this trip. Maybe we ought not be coddling our kids so much.

I like that she did this- but maybe the parent's should have been in a boat 20 miles behind her.

Last edited:
For the anti's that posted.. you do realize that teens have been doing the solo circum for decades.. just google the book DOVE. Of course they typically make the trip in cruising boats rather than an Open 40 (race boat).. the open 40's are capable of suring at close to 30knots for DAYS..

Her age had NOTHING to do with this, for those that are beotching get over it.. just because you didnt get to do anything this cool when you were 16.. :)

Her age had NOTHING to do with this, for those that are beotching get over it.. just because you didnt get to do anything this cool when you were 16.. :)

Ya think?? I'm beeotching just because I'm sick of people like you laying Kudos at the feet of a bunch of media hounds. Would you let your kid do it?

Besides, Then should the byline on all of the media reports read the kids age?? If age has nothing to do with it as some have suggested on here.

Here's a shocker.................................
The Dad is broke, has eight kids, and is pitching a reality show to solve his money problems.

She's just got a more expensive balloon.

Seriously?? I F-ing knew it!!!

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2010/06/15/lkl.abby.sunderland.dad.speaks.cnn?hpt=T2

Why can't we give reality shows to the deserving, like kids who put care packages together for our troops, or those who volunteer for the sick, needy or elderly......I Know, I know, not as exciting but MUCH more deserving.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back