Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SWA/FO

5 Star Senior Member
Anybody catch the rescue mission to save Abby Sutherland (16 year old sailing around the world). I guess, they rented an Airbus 330, it took off from Perth, Australia flew 4500 miles circled for 40 minutes, found her, talked on the radio and then flew back to Perth.

How much does that cost?

Probably twice or three times a B737, which I think is between $3,500 and $5,000 per hour. Call it $11k/hour times five hours.

Less than a hundred grand.

Bet the parents get a bill.

I also think they should pay it, I would.

Whatever the price was it was worth it. They saved her life.

I would do no less for one of my kids.

Glad it ended on a good note for them.

They probably bought insurance for her at a hefty premium, and now they are using it.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I'm guessing the family that thinks it's a good idea to send a 16 year old around the world in a sail boat can afford it.

Qantas was chartered by the Aussy government, so it probably didn't cost them a penny. It sure was good PR though for Qantas and the fuel bill was likely cheaper then a big commercial spot.

Last edited:
What a bunch of clowns.....The parents should be brought up on Child Endangerment charges.

I don't buy the whole "the kid is a dreamer" idea.....Oh Yeah? I wanted to go Bear hunting in Wyoming when I was 15 by myself during summer break, did my Dad say "Sure son, have at it!! Good Luck!"????

Hell no, He told me to wait a few years to do it.

Look at them at their press conference, the parents LOVE the camera. The son does it, now the daughter does it....and fails. But yet, they got the camera time they needed. I am no judge, but the fact you have a MEDIA agent and set up press conferences so you can brag about your kids makes you a sick bastard ready to sacrifice your own blood to get into the papers.....

What if she got jumped and raped by pirates? If she had died, then what?? "Oh that's too bad, the kid couldn't be stopped. We encourage our children to grow like a flower...."

Just like BP, they owe every dime for this rescue from a misguided stunt.

This story makes me sick,

Probably twice or three times a B737, which I think is between $3,500 and $5,000 per hour. Call it $11k/hour times five hours.

A airliner-configured 737-800 has a charter rate of $8000-9000 USD/hr according to Air Charter Guide; I'd guess a widebody would be at least double that.

I believe the issue was the limited capability of the hercules Search and Rescue aircraft re: time taken to fly to search point and then stay on station. A330 was seen as more capable so was chartered by AUS-SAR.

Latest resources

Back