• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How much longer for FLYI?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Right...because Neidl has never been wrong about anything..

* MESA/ACA WILL happen
* United/USAIR WILL happen
* USAir done by the end of Jan 05
* FLYi won't be able to restructure lease agreements...
* etc etc

I give them 70/30 chance of surviving. The pieces are falling into place albeit slowly. The average fares are rising and the deeply discounted fares are simply to put butts in seats during the slowest days of the week. Inflight Entertainment has finally arrived, and the expansion out west has begun. I would not count them out yet.

sunchaser said:
They are not selling ALL the tickets at 70 dollars... The ticket price goes up closer to the flight.. So it is made up in last second ticket sells.. There is a magical computer that takes all this info and makes sure that if the flight sells out it made money. Anyway I hope they make it, but I think late fall.....

The problem is that TED and United have more flights per day at the same fares with a frequent flyer system that is a lot better.

Bye Bye--General Lee

sunchaser said:
They are not selling ALL the tickets at 70 dollars... The ticket price goes up closer to the flight.. So it is made up in last second ticket sells.. There is a magical computer that takes all this info and makes sure that if the flight sells out it made money. Anyway I hope they make it, but I think late fall.....

Apparently that system can work. I just bought advance tickets on Easy Jet for less than 20 pounds, and they don't seem to be going out of business. Yes, I know it's comparing apples and oranges, but I thought it was interesting that they could make that pricing model work.

the big question is who needs an east coast hub and network now that AWA/USAIR are getting hitched?

has the industry consolidation begun?

only time (and maybe the general) will tell

Nindiri said:
Yes, I know it's comparing apples and oranges, but I thought it was interesting that they could make that pricing model work.

????? Let me rephrase that, "I know these 2 things have very little, if anything in common but I'd like to draw 1 parallel between them none the less."

sunchaser said:
They are not selling ALL the tickets at 70 dollars... The ticket price goes up closer to the flight.. So it is made up in last second ticket sells.. There is a magical computer that takes all this info and makes sure that if the flight sells out it made money.

And how does stating a 71% load factor reflect how much those passengers paid for their tickets? It doesn't. I think there is a lot of things that are based on PFM at Indy right now other than their ticketing computer system.

Dangerkitty said:
That is probably one of the dumbest things I have ever read on flightinfo.

I agree with Dangerkitty.

Nova said:
????? Let me rephrase that, "I know these 2 things have very little, if anything in common but I'd like to draw 1 parallel between them none the less."

Let me rephrase it so that even you can understand it, Nova. Easy Jet's success does not mean that Indy will work because they are different companies with different circumstances. However, it does prove that their current business model of low advance tickets and higher priced walk-ups, as described by the other poster above, can be successful if done properly.

Nindiri said:
However, it does prove that their current business model of low advance tickets and higher priced walk-ups, as described by the other poster above, can be successful if done properly.

Current business model? Current as in "for the last 20+ years" right?

Did your 20 pound ticket happen to be for a 2000 nm flight? Remember, there are more airlines out of business than "in" thanks to low ticket prices.

Fine, have it your way. :rolleyes: It's just a fluke that Easy Jet and other similar carriers have been successfully operating for years selling cheap tickets. They are all probably going to go under any moment.

Without a white knight/merger I think it will be a miracle if we survive into the Fall. Unfortunately I don't think we bring much to the table with the exception of some very well-priced airbus leases. I predict we will suffer the fate of Midway II.

Still, I think it was worth the shot.

Latest resources

Back