Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

High blood pressure, but whats really going on?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BoilerUP said:
http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/rfs/

Regional Flight Surgeon listing. Call the person representing you right away!
I did, talked to a very very nice lady at the great lakes region, thanks for the info. She said that they have had quite a few problems with this doc, and that if he winds up deferring it that my first call should be to her, I will let you know the outcome next friday.

Normally I don't like to see names posted here....But...I am also in the Great Lakes region and I don't want to accidentally go to this guy. So, could you please post his name or address.

Thanks,
N2F

Say Again Over said:
Six beers before ya go next time should take the anxiety away, just a thought. :beer:

I know an who will send you to the resturaunt next door to have a couple of glasses of wine if you test too high on the BP.

michael707767 said:
As for the "white coat" syndrome, I had the same problem. Never had a problem with blood pressure at my regular doctor, but at my FAA exams I was always right at the limit. My regular doctor suggesed I buy a blood pressure machine for home, and regularly take readings. I did that and over time I have gotten the confidence that I don't have a problem and I can relax more when I go to the FAA doc.
I had "white coat" too. My first BP reading was usually on the high side but would come down to normal after a few minutes. I decided not to purchase a home BP monitor because the only readings that count are at the doctor's office. I got over it by having my regular doctor's nurse check it every few days over a two to three week period. Eventually I got over my fear of the cuff and now have normal readings on the first check. I still have it checked every month or two just to keep an eye on it. I can now walk into my AME's office more confident knowing that I do not have a problem.

Last edited:
SIUCAV…

I think you are making a huge mistake going back to this doctor! He is NOT your friend regardless of what you think. You should go to ANY other doctor and ask to be put on BP medication and then follow the steps I described below in order to get the FAA approval (I think you read my post describing the process). It is a very simple process but you must have an AME you can trust, this guy is a joke!!!

DO NOT EVER GO TO AN AME UNLESS EVERYTHING IS OK! (always, always, always have a "real" doctor to go to for problems)

Stay AWAY from your doctor!!!

From my previous post where you asked about Tenoretic (Atenolol)

No Problem, it’s a Beta blocker and it is on the list – look here http://www.leftseat.com/hypertension.htm
Or read below…

As far as “how long it takes to get approved?” NO TIME AT ALL! There is NO time frame for approval, it’s really a very simple process (if you don’t like forms and have a very busy schedule use Leftseat.com [~$500] but you can do it yourself).

I am really amazed at how many pilots still think getting BP medication is a big deal with the FAA. It is NOT!!! They are very proactive now and they want pilots to be on BP meds if they cannot control it otherwise! Remember, if you wait too long your heart muscle WILL get enlarged (if it does - it's still not the end of the world but more paper work) and that shows on the EKG, do not wait - be proactive!

First find a doctor (a physician assistant - PA will work too) who will check your BP over a span of 2-3 days, get the BP medication he/she thinks is best for you AND which is on the list (take the list with you to the doc).
Wait about 1-2 weeks after taking the meds so your BP stabilizes and then check your BP at the office again. If the BP is ok and within limits, all you need is your BP readings spread out over several days (a simple excell spreadsheet will work) , a statement from your treating doctor saying you are under his/her care and taking medication ABC, what dosage you are taking (XXmg a day), and that your BP is now normal and under control. (If your medication includes a diuretic, you will also need a pee test checking for potassium levels and if the levels are ok, it needs to be stated in the letter from your doc.)

Now you will take the letter and your BP readings to your AME, and hand it to him/her. He/she will submit it to the FAA with your medical AND you will be issued a regular 1st class right then - just as always. If you are due for an EKG (turning 35 or once a yar after 40) you will get an EKG too, but it's not required otherwise.

About 2-4 weeks later you will receive a letter from OKC saying your 1st class medical is valid and that a year from now you need to submit another statement from your BP treating doc to your AME that you’re still ok and that potassium levels are fine (if taking diuretic). You’ll do it once a year and you are supposed to bring the FAA letter to the doc (even though they usually make a copy of it and then you don't need to bring it) and each time you'll bring the OK letter from your treating doctor.

From that point on you will not be receiving any additional correspondence from the FAA.
Really, it's a piece of cake!

From www.LeftSeat.com

The following medications is a partial list of FAA approved drugs. These medications are acceptable to the FAA on a case by case basis:

Alpha Blockers / Inhibitors
  • Cardura (Doxazosin)
  • Catapres (Clonidine)
  • Dibenzyline (Phenoxybenzamine)
  • Hytrin (Terazosin)
  • Micardis (Telmisartan)
  • Minipress, Minizide (Prazosin)
Beta Blockers
  • Blocadren, Timolide (Timolol)
  • Cartrol (Carteolol)
  • Cibenzyline (Phenoxybenzamine)
  • Coreg (Carvedilol)
  • Corgard, Corzide (Nadolol)
  • Inderal, Inderide, Innopran (Propranolol)
  • Kerlone (Betaxolol)
  • Levatol (Penbutolol)
  • Lopressor, Toprol (Metoprolol)
  • Normodyne, Trandate (Labetalol)
  • Sectral (Acebutolol)
  • Tenormin, Tenoretic (Atenolol)
  • Visken (Pindolol)
  • Zebeta, Ziac (Bisoprolol)
Calcium Channel Blockers
  • Adalat, Procardia (Nifedipine)
  • Cardizem, Dilacor, Tiazac (Diltiazem)
  • Cardene (Nicardipine)
  • Calan, Covera, Isoptin, Veralan, Tarka (Verapamil)
  • DynaCirc (Isradipine)
  • Norvasc, Lotrel (Amlodipine)
  • Plendil, Lexxel (Felodipine)
  • Posicor (Mibefradil)
  • Sular (Nisoldipine)
Angiotensin Converting Enzyme (ACE) Inhibitors
  • Aceon (Perindopril Erbumine)
  • Accupril (Quinapril)
  • Altace (Ramipril)
  • Capoten, Capozide (Captopril)
  • Lotensin (Benazepril)
  • Mavik (Trandolapril)
  • Monopril (Fosinopril)
  • Prinivil, Prinzide, Zestril, Zestoretic (Lisinopril)
  • Univasc, Unitrec (Moexipril)
  • Vasotec, Vaseretic (Enalapril)
Angiotensin II Receptor Antagonists
  • Atacand (Candesartan)
  • Avapro, Avalide (Irbesartan)
  • Benicar (Olmesartan Medoxomil)
  • Benicar HCT (Olmesartan Medoxomil + Hydrochlorothiazide)
  • Cozaar, Hyzaar (Losartan)
  • Diovan (Valsartan)
  • Micardis (Telmisartan)

myq2u said:
SIUCAV…

I think you are making a huge mistake going back to this doctor! He is NOT your friend regardless of what you think. You should go to ANY other doctor and ask to be put on BP medication and then follow the steps I described below in order to get the FAA approval (I think you read my post describing the process). It is a very simple process but you must have an AME you can trust, this guy is a joke!!!

DO NOT EVER GO TO AN AME UNLESS EVERYTHING IS OK! (always, always, always have a "real" doctor to go to for problems)
I agree with you, I would not go back to him except for the fact that he has not denied me yet and I began the paperwork with him. I see him Thursday now and will see what happened. And yes I have a family doctor that I go to and have been to him three times in the last three months, the only problem is that he says that I do not need to be on high blood pressure medication because the last three visits the highest he could get my BP was 125/75.
Thank you very much for taking the time to research this for me.

Ok so he has not denied you yet? So what's that mean? Just tell him you are switching to a different AME and do not want to use his services anymore?

Have you invested in a BP cuff yet? They are inexpenisve and pretty reliable (walgreens?). Maybe find a PA who can check your BP several times of the day and bring that reading to your nazidoc?

Last edited:
myq2u said:
Ok so he has not denied you yet? So what's that mean? Just tell him you are switching to a different AME and do not want to use his services anymore?

Have you invested in a BP cuff yet? They are inexpenisve and pretty reliable (walgreens?). Maybe find a PA who can check your BP several times of the day and bring that reading to your nazidoc?
He will not allow me to see any other AME, he said that since he has started me he has to be the one to finish me. Yes I have a cuff, and I am seeing my doc every day and going to bring her certified note of my BP to him.

Wow, what a jerk! Please post his name as soon as your medical issue is resolved, others need to be warned! Good luck to you!

Latest resources

Back