Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

High blood pressure, but whats really going on?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

siucavflight

Back from the forsaken
So go to see the AME, first time seeing this guy. Never had blood pressure as an issue, so not sweating the medical too much, last medical 6 months ago blood pressure is 125 over 70. Today he takes it and says that I am 165 over 110, takes it six different times trying to get a reading below 155 over 95 cant do it. Me freaked out runs to my normal physician, get a full check out, and of course now I am stressed so I am really worried about what the reading will be. He takes it five different times, highest reading he gets is 130 over 80, and cant figure out what is going on. He calls the AME who will have no part of what my doc is trying to tell him and insist that he was right, so my doc calls in one of his collegues and asks him to take my blood pressure using differnt equipment, guy takes it twice same findings both times 130 over 75.

My question is what is my course of action here? The AME will have no part of the other docs telling him he is wrong. What can I do?

Did the Ame use the same blood pressure cuff (I think thats what they call it) all 6 times? I had a problem aabout 2 years ago. My blood pressure had always been good. Went for my 1str class physical renewal and my blood pressure had gone up to about 170/100. I had beem to this AME for years and he knew something wasn't right. Tried another "cuff" and everything was normal.. Turns out the cuff gauge was broke.

No, I asked him if he could try a different machine, and he said no, he knows his equipment and knows it is working right.

Sounds like one arrogant S.O.B. AME. Don't know it would work exactly (1AME says you have high blood pressure, another says you don't) but I think I would try another AME and see what happens. Good luck.

Shouldnt there be a "static inspection" on the pressure gauge that the AME is using?

If the blood pressure device is one of those electronic ones, they are very very unrealiable. I only go to AMEs who use the old hand pump ones. The electronic ones need to be calibrated regularly and if they don't, they aren't accurate. Also, if these BP machines come close to anything else that's electronic or anything that emits energy, they'll give incorrect readings. By the way, who's the doc and where? Seem to be a real jerk.

cmsick8 said:
Do us all a favor and rate this guy @ www.amereview.com. We have all worked too hard to lose medicals over an arrogant doc.
Thank you, I put up a review for him. I am going back to him tomorrow, as long as he feels my blood pressure is back to normal he will not pull my certificate, I have been to my real doctor every day since and my blood pressure has been fine, and he has noted where it is every time that I have gone.

Sue the AME for malpractice. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm money. My bro, a doc, suggested this, after i emailed him your plight!

Latest resources

Back