• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

**HEADLINE SKYWEST to fly USAir RJs***

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What's the sentiment at TSA, Mesa and Chataqua with regards to the US Airways proposal?

We are having a major struggle with the placing of newhire pilots right into the left seat.

What is the opinion of other regionals (ASA, Comair, Eagle, CoEx)?

In my opinion, this is a very serious precedent-setting situation.

Last edited:
It's precedent setting in that it's being negoitated between some carriers ALPA reps and regional airlines management, but the idea of street captains certainly isn't unprecedented. Maybe it is at your carrier, but carriers such as Express I, Great Lakes, UFS, Chicago Express, and probably a bunch more that I am missing have hired street captains before.

Hi!

What are the sentiments at the regionals re: USAir RJ proposal?

Overall, at TSA it's positive. We are slowly losing our AA feed, and could lose it all. USAir may be the only option. We still have about 1/4 of our pilots on furlough, with a pool behind them. We (the furloughees) were supposed to fly new jets for AA, and now it looks like the only near-term (and maybe THE ONLY) chance to get off furlough is the USAir deal.

From listening to the Chautauqua MEC hotline, they (the MEC) is positive about it. They are putting it to a vote. I don't know about MESA.

It is new and different, and will definitely change things, but this is one effect exarcebated (it means increased from-I had to look up the spelling in the dictionary) because of the 9.11 attacks.

I hope it works out, and helps those pilots on the sidelines to get back in the cockpit sooner.

Cliff
GB,WI

Any contract airline that allows these mainline guys to infiltrate their seniority list is a scab airline in my opinion. Let those greedy mainline pilots figure out their own mess for their past greedy mistakes. They know if US Airways goes bankrupt none of those guys will be flying RJ's. It's funny before Sept. 11 most mainline guys said they would never fly RJ's on their property, but look now, all of a sudden they would love to fly them. And screw the wholly owneds. We have no plans of even getting in on the RJ deal that I know of, why would we. US Airways has no deliveries of any planes in 2003 and 2004, Do you honestly think these guys are going to be called back at anytime soon, if at all. They also plan on furloughing all the way back to Jan 2003 right now. Think about it guys (contract carriers), you guys are fools if you let them have jobs just to get RJ's.

I was unaware that there was a strike going on at any of these carriers, and that the UsAirways furloughees were crossing the picket line. Why is it that so many people have changed the definition of the word scab as it pertains to unions? Just because you really don't like someone or what they are doing, it doesn't make them a scab.

I guess your right, they probably aren't scabs. It's funny though how US Airways said they would never fly RJ's on their property before and now they are crying to fly them. Now they are good enough to fly RJ's but weren't before.

Hi!

I do think it's very Alanis Morisette ("Ironic") that many of these very same "I'm a HEAVY JET pilot flying for a MAJOR airline" guys who said they would never fly one of those puny RJs, are now clamoring for a spot with a regional airline.

I just flew home on UAL on Wed. I was talking with the passenger sitting next to me about the current airline situation. He remarked, "Why don't the airlines buy a number of different sizes of jets, and fly whichever size is "right" into the market that they need it?"

Well, golly jeepers-creepers, us lowly RJ pilots have never thought of something like that, like a one-list with a sliding pay-scale where pilot pay corresponds to the possible revenue generation of the aircraft that they're flying, with everyone working for the same goals and the same company.

It's too simple.

Hoping to get back in the cockpit soon...

Cliff
GB,WI

PS-I used to fly a "Heavy" jet also...

Everyone,

I am a furloughed US Air and ex-TSA pilot. Many of you sound bitter about these possible rj deals that might be happening and I can understand that. I have a few comments.

1) I have heard many mainline pilots say they would fly rj's on main-line pre 9-11. Everyone should want this. More main line jobs are better than more regional jobs (expecially at TSA). Even if you are paid the same rate to fly them at mainline as the regional, your life style is much better; schedueling, ect. that is what we all want. I'd go back to a C-210 if they paid a decent wage and I had more than 2 nights off a week. The issue isn't "how big is your jet?" ; but " how much do you enjoy working for your company?" Obviously we all love our jobs or else we wouldn't put up with TSA, MESA, Great Lakes, ect... for even a few months little lone years.

2) Some of you who refer to main lines as greedy ect. think about this for a minute. We are the pilots who just left the regionals and or military at the most three years ago. not the "peple that treated the WO's like dirt." I do not know much about the history with US Air mainline and the WO's but there is some bad blood between some of them according to these boards.

The people you might end up flying with if this rj deal goes thru, would much rather be flying those jets on mainline and not for a fraction of the pay they will get at TSA, ect. I am guessing you might feel the same way. If it happens this way, everyone should use it to help lift up the regional pay rates. This should have been done years ago, but it hasn't. The money TSA makes is obscene and yet the pilots get embarrased by the pay scales. I know, I was there. It was fun, but I would have liked to been paid more and worked less. Oh, I guess that is why I left for a mainline job (even one that might not be there in 30 years when I retire!) and why you had your app's out prior to 9-11.

3) You can never catagorize a whole group into one nice easy package. Most of the industry sees United as arrogant, AA as the Sky Natazi's Delta as having a chip on their shoulder (right above their nice shinny name tags) and, as I have learned tonight, US Air as being greedy, selfish, and overall just bad people.

Anyone reading this knows that I just insulted many people even though you probably have heard any one of these statements or similar ones in the past. You probably know more than one pilot at each of these airlines who would be more than happy to help you when the time comes for whatever reason, not just getting a job at that carrier.

I type so slow and make so many errors that I have forgotten where I am going with this.

Just remember, we are all basically the same.
We love flying,
we want to get paid as much as we can,
we want as many days off as possible,
we love flexible schedules,
we strive to do the best job possible and take pride in what we do.
This is what makes us pilots.

By the way, many of the furloughed main-line pilots were flying "puny rj's" and I can guarntee you they are not clamoring for a spot with a regional airline. We want main line jobs back, we already had the regional airline job. Besides why work out a deal unless it is a last ditch effort? Our MEC should be negotiating for main line jobs, not regional jobs. If there is an influx of a few hundred rj's just out of the US Air system who do you think will get hired at the regionals, 400 hour CFI's? That might be a dangerous question to ask.

Hopefully we left the regionals a little better off than when we started with them. Aren't we always striving to make things better?

Ready to take some blows,

man-down

SkwPilot said:

We are having a major struggle with the placing of newhire pilots right into the left seat.

What is the opinion of other regionals (ASA, Comair, Eagle, CoEx)?

In my opinion, this is a very serious precedent-setting situation.

Your opinion is absolutely correct. IMO, it would be extremely foolish of you to allow this FOR ANY REASON.

Since you have no union at SKYW you may not be able to do anything about this. If you can STOP it, I highly recommend that you do so IMMEDIATELY, if not sooner.

Last edited:
If the final offer from U mec is to put 50 / 50 furlough U pilots and ( in this example: TSA ) TSA pilots and TSA mec approves it, hopefully there is a final wording that says:
U-pilots will be given seniority based on hiredate on TSA ONLY, but they will be awarded protected capt slots for halv of the U pilots hired. ( so of ex 4 pilots-position created by the arrival of 1 airplane: 1 TSA capt and F/O, 1 U capt and F/O )
Give the U-pilots ability to fill more capt seats but only if TSA is not able to upgade their own pilots.
And finally ( one of the most important items ) if U was to go down the drain, that U-pilos would only ( like everybody else ) be able to hold a seat based on their seniority / hiredate at TSA ONLY.
Then if U was to go down, base closures and displacements ( at TSA )would most likely down grade most U-pilots but.......

This is the most fair solution I can think out.

Latest resources

Back