Have you checked performance #s?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Led Sled

Very well stated. Some guys are over cautious to the safe side, and some throw the book right out the window.

I wish I had a dollar for every King Air 200 guy I have heard say "The Military operates them at 14,000 lbs" or what ever the actual number is.

Yes they do, but they have a type, 2 crew, and have trained in it at that weight...... you?

Other guys are always looking for a reason not to fly.

I know of one guy who regularly departs an airport with the stick shaker going off.

I explained to my boss that my job is to keep him safe no matter what. I get paid to say not to him on occasion. A phone call will take care of most issues. No one will care next week. If I screw up and put him in the trees, it will make a big expensive difference to a lot of people for a long time to come. After this little explanation, I have no issues. Communicate communicate.

I don't cheat on the runway numbers or climb segment numbers. Never had, never will. I'm also a big fan of 'reduced decision speed' as I get closer to the runway limit.

If we're hot and high, or other issues such as this where a departure at a cooler temp makes the difference, the boss is briefed on this. That does not happen often, but when it does, it's briefed upon arrival.

It's all about communication, simple as that. Keeps everyone safe AND happy!

bad performance

I just ended a position due to an old aircraft underperforming; causing countless operational problems, thus causing me daily headaches with management.

If your aircraft is underperforming the "book" numbers you have a responsibility to not continue the behavior of take-offs on the performance limit without making adjustments or finding out what is causing the reduced performance.

The start of this thread was not forgetting to look at the info. Even on a 12000 ft runway I've never been part of a crew that didn't look up speeds and have the tofl written down somewhere. I'm all for lazy, but that's a little irresponsible....it's not optional to know this information.

If the original poster is saying you look up the numbers and see you can't do it and go anyway...that's just wrong and I wouldn't ever intentionally do it.

I'm looking forward to being an old pilot.

I could be wrong, but I think he was looking at runway numbers and climb gradients more than speeds.

Even some east-coast airports have SIDs with climb gradients that could yield significant weight penalties. Far too many people ignore gradients assuming that two engine climb will clear the obstacle.

Integrity isn't free. Sometimes you have to make the hard decisions.

I could be wrong, but I think he was looking at runway numbers and climb gradients more than speeds.

Even some east-coast airports have SIDs with climb gradients that could yield significant weight penalties. Far too many people ignore gradients assuming that two engine climb will clear the obstacle.

Integrity isn't free. Sometimes you have to make the hard decisions.

KPDK 20L is a great example of that.

The initial post states that since you're going to the NYC area you've got to take extra gas. Why? Does the arrival weather always dictate the need for an alternate? Problems with Flow Control? If you're adding to the numbers arbitrarily by not following the AFM and it's numbers, and adding fuel because you're going to a metropolitan area then why wouldn't you're numbers be high. There is really no gray area here if you do things the right way. And I'm not knocking you at all. I have gone from KSMO to TEB in a westwind many times non stop without checking the AFM because we did it so much. I new I couldn't do it above a certain aircraft weight and above a certain temperature. This is a common complacency that pilots fall in to and hopefully we are smart enough to get out of it before something bad happens.....

Maybe I'm a geek, but I got tired of trying to trace those stupid lines with a pencil that has a 200 foot wide tip. So, being the geek that I am, I sat down this week and pre-calculated performance for Sea Level to 5000 at 1000 foot incriments and from -15 degrees to 40 degrees in 5 degree incriments.

Now I have a chart that I can quickly reference that gives me my WAT limit, Accel-go/stop and climb % as well as my power setting.

Keep in mind, this is a quick reference chart that will almost never exactly match any airport and temperature. However, it does tell me what I can expect at an airport that my boss wants to fly into.

:eek:
I know of one guy who regularly departs an airport with the stick shaker going off.

Note to Self: Never get in an airplane with Captain Stick Shaker.

Maybe I'm a geek, but I got tired of trying to trace those stupid lines with a pencil that has a 200 foot wide tip. So, being the geek that I am, I sat down this week and pre-calculated performance for Sea Level to 5000 at 1000 foot incriments and from -15 degrees to 40 degrees in 5 degree incriments.

Now I have a chart that I can quickly reference that gives me my WAT limit, Accel-go/stop and climb % as well as my power setting.

Keep in mind, this is a quick reference chart that will almost never exactly match any airport and temperature. However, it does tell me what I can expect at an airport that my boss wants to fly into.
Can you say "Ultra-Nav"?

Latest resources

Back