• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Haas Racing?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The overall safety record for the NASCAR Air Force is very good. Alan Kuwicki was killed when his plane had an engine failure on approach to TRI several years ago, then the King Air at Martinsville---that's all I can think of off the top of my head. I think someone had a King Air land gear up, but not sure if it was a mechanical problem or not. Most of their flights seem to be less than 2 hours with the exception of the west coast trips. Even though I got a bad taste with that one team, I still would like to fly for the right team.

BTW, I did mention to Kenseth that it's hard to get quaility rest when one wants to go to bed and the early stays up to watch tv. His reply? "It's a money thing. They already cost me $2000/weekend."

I'm going to disagree that we have a reputation for creating "smoking" holes. That was a terrible loss, however, we deal with a highly challenging flying environment, arriving at minimally equiped airports and departing these same airports with severe congestion. It isn't like some 135 (or even 121) company's accident record. But I will say I highly disagree with SOME team's policy of room sharing.

The "reputation" that is out there is very well deserved. There are however a few individuals out there trying hard to change it. I know a couple personally. But until idiots like Kenseth start seeing the big picture not much will change.

As for challenging environments, you're not doing anything that other Part 91 or 135 crews don't do every single day. No incredible feats or magic going on. You take off, climb to altitude, descend, fly an approach, and land. Probably done it all at least 20 times over the past 7 days. :rolleyes:

The Haas opening is indeed for a CRJ. They'll probably fill the position with some regional airline pilots that are willing to crew it for about 65K for a Capt. and around 45 to 50K for an F.O. Hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Not all of them are cheap but a ton of them are.

Add in not wanting to pay for a second pilot, IFR GPS you name it. Oh yeah and then the mad dash come race over or if your driver crashes. Everybody taking off vfr every which way.

I've heard the industry is changing but very very slowly.

yea it was for crj 200,, they pulled the advertisement from avaination, or I just cant find it anymore the position might be filled.

The mad dash isn't as bad as it was a few years ago. Now, usually a rep from ATC is set up at a table about an hour before the race is over and has everyone's IFR clearance ready. You go pick up your sheet. When your driver arrives, crank and go. No more sitting in line for 2 hours trying to get out. From what I saw, it's a pretty steady stream. I would meet my driver as he and his wife got off the helicopter shuttle and take them to the plane. We'd be taxiing out within 2-3 minutes and most of the time got right out for takeoff.

Five years ago I went to a race @ Talledaga and watched Dale Jr's planes start up and take off 2 hours later. I sat in the FBO for 3 hours waiting for traffic to get out. I rented a plane that day and couldn't bare to watch the hobbs meter running like a fan sitting on the taxiway.

having done international part 135, and other domestic part 91 jobs. My only point was there are some challenges NasCar guys deal with that others don't. I never said it was an excuse for accidents or any feat of magic. And by challenges, all I meant was that for the most part, we don't go in to the bigger airports with good lighting and good approaches. This is by far not one of the most challenging jobs out there, but still more so than the average domestic 121 or corporate job. It isnt really worth arguing over, I just was trying to stress that the NasCar community's safety record is not that bad...

Just curious, not knowing where all the races are by heart, where the challenging airports are... Off the top of my head.

1. TMB - Homestead
2. MTV - Martinsville
3. DAY - Daytona
4. TRI - Bristol
5. GYR - Phoenix
6. AFW - Dallas Motor Speedway
7. IND - Indy
8. ASN - Talledega
9. RIC - Richmond
10. LAS - Las Vegas Motor Speedway

None of these are short fields or that big a deal. I know I'm missing some but where are the nastier ones?

Last edited:
It looks like you have been around long enough to know that any high traffic area can be challenging in it's own way. Talledaga, Alabama is no Teteboro by any means, but when you have to plan ahead and get an IFR arrival slot; or deal with all the planes of the drivers, family, team owners; and stuff like that it's just another job. Just about all the team pilots are used to all that stuff. Now throw in all the other hundreds of fans flying in their 172's and Cherokee's all trying to get into the pattern ahead of you because they are excited to get there or are paying based on the hobbs time, that's the challenging part. So much traffic that the FAA puts up temp. control towers at the uncontrolled fields. Trouble is, a lot of people don't check NOTAMS and don't know about the control tower--just another monkey wrench thrown in.

Latest resources

Back