Ground De(anti)icing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CL600Pilot

I am doing some informal research for a project I'm putting together and would like some feedback on a couple of issues from corporate operators regarding ground deicing - you can reply to this thread or shoot me a PM - all responses greatly appreciated!!

1) How many times a 'season' do you have to get deiced before departure

2) What is the approximate cost you've been seeing to deice a corporate aircraft? If possible please include type of aircraft, type of deice(Type I, IV, etc), and general location (northeast, midwest, etc) - I'm particularly interested in common corporate destinations - HPN, TEB, MDW, etc.

3) Have you ever received specific training on deice procedures? If so, from who? (Your company, Flight Safety, ??)

Thanks a bunch!

CL600Pilot

Deice/Anti-Ice

Yes we do an annual "Safety Standdown" which revisits these topics. It is an internal department training session. Each pilot says they deice about nine times a year not including home base. We don't cut any corners or take any chances. We maintain our own type I/IV deice capability at home base. Crew's call, no questions asked. I chair the Safety Committee and make sure that's the only way... Happy Holidays all!!

CL600Pilot said:
I am doing some informal research for a project I'm putting together and would like some feedback on a couple of issues from corporate operators regarding ground deicing - you can reply to this thread or shoot me a PM - all responses greatly appreciated!!

1) How many times a 'season' do you have to get deiced before departure

2) What is the approximate cost you've been seeing to deice a corporate aircraft? If possible please include type of aircraft, type of deice(Type I, IV, etc), and general location (northeast, midwest, etc) - I'm particularly interested in common corporate destinations - HPN, TEB, MDW, etc.

3) Have you ever received specific training on deice procedures? If so, from who? (Your company, Flight Safety, ??)

Thanks a bunch!

CL600Pilot

I believe we only de-iced two or three times last winter. Type 1/Type IV. Cold-soaking the plane before putting it outside eliminates a fair amount of de-icing, and/or minimizes the amount needed.

I think the most a deice session cost last winter was 600 bucks. Havn't had to do it this year yet.

North East

you might want to post this on fractionals. I know i got deiced 5 times last week alone. some fbo's rock some suck

ultrarunner said:
I believe we only de-iced two or three times last winter. Type 1/Type IV. Cold-soaking the plane before putting it outside eliminates a fair amount of de-icing, and/or minimizes the amount needed.

I think the most a deice session cost last winter was 600 bucks. Havn't had to do it this year yet.

North East

Amen Ultraman. Just shutting off the overhead heaters, cracking the ol' bi-fold hangar door and chilling the airframe and then pulling the aircraft out can eliminate most if not all of the problem of freezing precip. sticking on the airframe in most cases. We de-iced only once last year, cost im guessing around $800-$1000 and believe Type I. Don't quote me.

Not had to do it yet this season. Last year only did it once because we had some frost on all of the upper surfaces of the aircraft. I believe the cost was around $600. I can't remember how many gallons we used. We have a small sports charter/airline based right behind our hangar that will usually have their truck heated, if we call the FBO we get one of those cheesy little carts that I'd bet doesn't properly warm the fluid.

What really should make you nervous is whether the ground de-icing equipment is being operated properly.

h25b said:
Not had to do it yet this season. Last year only did it once because we had some frost on all of the upper surfaces of the aircraft. I believe the cost was around $600. I can't remember how many gallons we used. We have a small sports charter/airline based right behind our hangar that will usually have their truck heated, if we call the FBO we get one of those cheesy little carts that I'd bet doesn't properly warm the fluid.

What really should make you nervous is whether the ground de-icing equipment is being operated properly.

You don't count anyway - you live in the south now.

Traitor.

Does Part 91 or 135 have the right down all the numbers like Pt 121? I was wondering if this was a 121 requirement or does everybody have to do it. We deice soemtimes 5 x's per day.

I don't count ??? That wasn't what I was thinking today as I was freezing my a$$ off in EEN this evening !!! Saturday I'm off to Denver and then on to Bend, OR from there.

Latest resources

Back