Google Earth

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
av8rbama said:
google earth is a mosaic of many images. to get the highest resolution, each image will cover less area than one with a less-dense resolution. hence your multiple aircraft on the runway. also, many of the high-density images are captured with small digital sensors instead of the old reliable 9"x9" aerial surveying film negatives, requiring more images to cover a given area.

i could go on ad-nauseum. i work for an aerial surveyor and took several remote sensing classes when getting my masters.

Now I don't have to bore people when they ask what I do. I can just say "we do stuff like google earth" and they understand.

I suspected something like that but not being familiar with the program I didn't want to make an assumption.

I do find it interesting some areas are "blacked out." There is one place just north of Heathrow. A Brit newspaper had a contest (found on AvWeb) asking folks to find oddities. Some pretty interesting stuff out there.

Thanks for all the responses.

2000Flyer

Hey, as long as we're discussing Google earth, I have a question:

Are there other websites out there which let you browse staellite imagery? Seems like I've seen a website where you don't have to load an 11 meg file onto your own computer (dialup connectin, wouldn't you know) bu can browse directly on the website.

This ring any bells, or am I halucinating again?

A Squared said:
Hey, as long as we're discussing Google earth, I have a question:

Are there other websites out there which let you browse staellite imagery? Seems like I've seen a website where you don't have to load an 11 meg file onto your own computer (dialup connectin, wouldn't you know) bu can browse directly on the website.

This ring any bells, or am I halucinating again?

terraserver, pixxures

Or for no downloads at all, check out FlashEarth. Very, very slick.

I notice they've added the ocean floor, now -- Check out the Bahamas! No wonder the water's shallow. :D

Last edited:
I added some real time air traffic to mine awhile back. Only arrival traffic into LAX and ATL. I can believe how many planes land at those airports daily. What is the link to the new version?

A Squared said:
http://maps.google.com

Works right off the website. Very slick. Better user interface than most. You can click and drag the maps and satellite images around instead of clicking buttons to pan left and right. You have a choice of looking at a location as a satellite image, a map, or hybrid of the two.

USA Photomaps is a good compilation of terraserver imagery. It's not in color, but the image resolution in unpopulated areas is better than Google earth.
www.jdmcox.com

SeanD said:
LMAO at Catberts avatar

Wish I'd thought it up. Love Fight Club. I snipped it from the airplane info card in the movie.

I flat out fall out of my chair laughing every time I see it and decided the world needed to share in my delirium.

Latest resources

Back