Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

2000flyer

EASY FLYER
So, Google Earth finally came out with the Mac OS X version. Like every other pilot who has opened this application, I went looking at airports. Yes, my home airport, military fields, international airports....Wait a minute...

...Looking at London Heathrow, RWY 05L, I see what appears to be an Airbus about a third of the way down the runway. Then another Airbus half way between that one and the approach end. Then an Airbus over the numbers about to touch down. Having flown in Europe I know they have different procedures, but I'm also sure that you aren't going to have two aircraft on the runway with one seconds from touchdown.

Long story short, any ideas on why?

Now back to reality. Thanks in advance.

2000Flyer

google earth is a mosaic of many images. to get the highest resolution, each image will cover less area than one with a less-dense resolution. hence your multiple aircraft on the runway. also, many of the high-density images are captured with small digital sensors instead of the old reliable 9"x9" aerial surveying film negatives, requiring more images to cover a given area.

i could go on ad-nauseum. i work for an aerial surveyor and took several remote sensing classes when getting my masters.

Now I don't have to bore people when they ask what I do. I can just say "we do stuff like google earth" and they understand.

Recently saw on Google Earth two images that split a building in two. In one it was under construction. The other half was completed, had landscaping, and cars in the parking lot.

And Google Earth on OS X! Boy was I giggly when I discovered that last week.

Just a little known FYI about Google Earth. It has a spyware program that runs in the background when you use it. It is very hard for spyware protection software to detect, I believe there is only one commercial spyware detection software that can even find it. Worst of all the spyware is a keystroke logger.

Now one should ask, why is Google or whoever logging keystrokes???

As long as you are not using any other programs at the same time as Google Earth than it's not a problem. Just don't check your personal info online or in your hard drive while Google Earth is running.

Don't believe me? Google it, isn't that ironic.

Well for once in my life I'm glad I was wrong. I hadn't seen anything yet about false positives, good to know. Either way:

Google=the next Microsoft....

Latest resources

Back