Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Andy

12/13/2012
I read Roomwithaview's post, below, on another thread.
I figured I might as well start a new contentious thread just to keep FIers' blood pressure maxed out. And it takes the spotlight away from the SWA/AT SLI.

The Age 60 Mafia had their day in the sun here. They were all vim and vigor before the vote and shortly thereafter. Now, they know they're in the that dreaded past the "3 year point where I told everyone I was leaving".

Guess what? No one has. Just like I predicted years ago. Who's going to give up primo seniority, five weeks vacation $250K a year easy money to fly 12 days a month on the month that you actually fly? Throw in a little Line Improvement Sick call backed up to some POT and there ain't no way in he!! you're gonna get those guys out of your seats, even if you had a grenade.

They lay low now so as not to draw any fire.

Never was a FLIFO guy in the day Andy but sounds like you and me would have gotten along pretty well.

I fought Age 65 for four years; 2004-2008. I lost. That's life. I'm not happy about losing the battle but life goes on. In my case, life goes on with a >2 year furlough since the age limit was increased. I'll be lucky if it only costs me 3 years on furlough. So that's what the over 60 pilots stole from me; 3 years of employment.

During that four years (2004-2008), I said that if 65 was implemented:
1) we would see a lot of furloughs and careers would stagnate.
2) pay rates would not increase due to a large pilot surplus.
3) although pilots were claiming they'd retire at 62, they were lying. They would all stay to 65.
4) We would see an increase in hull losses.

I'd say that I was pretty accurate on 1 through 3.
I was wrong on number 4. And that's where the problem lies. The door is now open to increase retirement age once again. The next three numbers that I've heard tossed around are 67, 70, and no age limit.

There will be a sharp increase in demand for pilots in 2012 as each airline restarts their training pipelines. Training pipelines will be much bigger at airlines with multiple dissimilar airframes, such as American, Delta, USAirways, and United/Continental. A single retirement at these companies can create up to 6 training events, although 4 training events is probably a reasonably conservative number.
Each pilot trainee will be in the training pipeline for ~2 months, including training and IOE. And for each pilot in the training pipeline, there will need to be a dedicated instructor/IOE pilot.
So if you're looking at 20 retirements per month, it creates a sustained demand for 20 x 4 x 2 x 2 pilots; 320 pilots. And that's a very lowball number. Back in the late 90s, I read something from a USAirways instructor that stated their training pipeline was ~1000 pilots. I'm sure things have gotten more efficient since then so the numbers need to be downward revised. Multiply 320 by 5 and you're looking at a sudden demand for 1600 pilots at legacy airlines. Between legacy and majors, there will probably be a demand of 2500+ pilots, decimating the ranks of regional airlines.
No later than fall 2012, we're likely looking at huge short term movements in the seniority list, as the training pipeline for multiple airlines will need to be filled. The clouds will suddenly seem to lift.
Remember that when you start hearing 'pilot shortages' and 'increasing retirement age'. Because if the retirement age is increased, that training pipeline evaporates and we're back to a huge glut of pilots.

In 2004-2008, most pilots were complacent on raising the retirement age. No worries; it's good for all of us. I hope that most have seen the light on that and are willing to put up a bit more resistance this time around.
Rather than try to completely shut down another age increase, my recommendation is that any further age increase be slowed down. Instead of a sudden jump to 70, how about a 1 month increase every quarter? That would increase retirement age by 4 months per year and allow the FAA to say, 'No Mas' when things start getting dicey. You can only increase retirement age so much before it becomes very unsafe.
The good thing about incremental age increases is that it keeps the training pipeline open, resulting in a higher demand for pilots.

OK, throw some darts at me. At least this is a diversion from SLI.

I read Roomwithaview's post, below, on another thread.
I figured I might as well start a new contentious thread just to keep FIers' blood pressure maxed out. And it takes the spotlight away from the SWA/AT SLI.

I fought Age 65 for four years; 2004-2008. I lost. That's life. I'm not happy about losing the battle but life goes on. In my case, life goes on with a >2 year furlough since the age limit was increased. I'll be lucky if it only costs me 3 years on furlough. So that's what the over 60 pilots stole from me; 3 years of employment.

During that four years (2004-2008), I said that if 65 was implemented:
1) we would see a lot of furloughs and careers would stagnate.
2) pay rates would not increase due to a large pilot surplus.
3) although pilots were claiming they'd retire at 62, they were lying. They would all stay to 65.
4) We would see an increase in hull losses.

I'd say that I was pretty accurate on 1 through 3.
I was wrong on number 4. And that's where the problem lies. The door is now open to increase retirement age once again. The next three numbers that I've heard tossed around are 67, 70, and no age limit.

There will be a sharp increase in demand for pilots in 2012 as each airline restarts their training pipelines. Training pipelines will be much bigger at airlines with multiple dissimilar airframes, such as American, Delta, USAirways, and United/Continental. A single retirement at these companies can create up to 6 training events, although 4 training events is probably a reasonably conservative number.
Each pilot trainee will be in the training pipeline for ~2 months, including training and IOE. And for each pilot in the training pipeline, there will need to be a dedicated instructor/IOE pilot.
So if you're looking at 20 retirements per month, it creates a sustained demand for 20 x 4 x 2 x 2 pilots; 320 pilots. And that's a very lowball number. Back in the late 90s, I read something from a USAirways instructor that stated their training pipeline was ~1000 pilots. I'm sure things have gotten more efficient since then so the numbers need to be downward revised. Multiply 320 by 5 and you're looking at a sudden demand for 1600 pilots at legacy airlines. Between legacy and majors, there will probably be a demand of 2500+ pilots, decimating the ranks of regional airlines.
No later than fall 2012, we're likely looking at huge short term movements in the seniority list, as the training pipeline for multiple airlines will need to be filled. The clouds will suddenly seem to lift.
Remember that when you start hearing 'pilot shortages' and 'increasing retirement age'. Because if the retirement age is increased, that training pipeline evaporates and we're back to a huge glut of pilots.

In 2004-2008, most pilots were complacent on raising the retirement age. No worries; it's good for all of us. I hope that most have seen the light on that and are willing to put up a bit more resistance this time around.
Rather than try to completely shut down another age increase, my recommendation is that any further age increase be slowed down. Instead of a sudden jump to 70, how about a 1 month increase every quarter? That would increase retirement age by 4 months per year and allow the FAA to say, 'No Mas' when things start getting dicey. You can only increase retirement age so much before it becomes very unsafe.
The good thing about incremental age increases is that it keeps the training pipeline open, resulting in a higher demand for pilots.

OK, throw some darts at me. At least this is a diversion from SLI.

You seem like a real smart guy with the resources and in the know more than the average pilot. I would however disagree on it's a diversion from the SLI because the primary pilots who changed the age 60 were Southwest grandpa cowboys cause, I can only take a wild west guess, they need new trucks ever year for their ranches in Texas. So now you got everyone clamoring over upgrade time on seniority lists because of stagnation. Greed is contagious and addictive.

You also bring up a very valid concern. It will be a darker day if they keep raising the age and should be another warning to pilot shortage types to keep their excitement subdued.

Andy,

I must admit, I've already been hearing some rumors of pushing past age 65. Will these guys ever leave? Unbelievable.

RF

That's it! Banned for life!!!

:laugh: ROTFLMAO!

I was not nice in 2004-2008; I was very nasty toward those pushing for 65. I owe UndauntedFlyer, PilotYIP, and (it's the wrong name but I can't find it at the moment) MarinerPilot among others a huge apology for my behavior while pushing to keep age 60 in place. I got several well deserved suspensions.
What surprised me was the complacency among fellow pilots. Will it be this way te next time around? I don't know. But I don't have the same fire in my belly to fight the next age change. Will someone else take up the cause? I have my doubts.

If this campaign starts, I'll be the 1st to show up in DC to testify about my experiences flying with the over 60 crowd, esp. before and after daylight hours. It won't be pretty. There is a difference and many of us have now seen it.

The day I even HEAR about an age 67 or 70 campaign is the day I start writing up sleepy heads, guys asking me to land when it's dark, and missed radio calls when it's my leg. Go ahead, make my day.

Rant off...

PS There's a reason we haven't had a hull loss, yet. It's called the other guy.

Last edited:
Andy,

I can tell you that there are a lot of angry FO's at SW, so you might have your wish over here. Not sure about the other carriers.

RF

You seem like a real smart guy with the resources and in the know more than the average pilot. I would however disagree on it's a diversion from the SLI because the primary pilots who changed the age 60 were Southwest grandpa cowboys cause, I can only take a wild west guess, they need new trucks ever year for their ranches in Texas. So now you got everyone clamoring over upgrade time on seniority lists because of stagnation. Greed is contagious and addictive.

You also bring up a very valid concern. It will be a darker day if they keep raising the age and should be another warning to pilot shortage types to keep their excitement subdued.

SWAPA laid the groundwork for the change. Pretard (capn prater) and the rest of ALPO had the Capital Hill connections to make it happen. Rep Mica had age 65 bottled up in subcommittee until Pretard and ALPO did their push poll (taking one survey question out of context) and told Mica behind closed doors to release the bill from subcommittee.
Age 65 couldn't have happened without ALPO sponsorship.
Having 'played' in the corridors of the Capital building, that's the way things really work.

SWAPA laid the groundwork for the change. Pretard (capn prater) and the rest of ALPO had the Capital Hill connections to make it happen. Rep Mica had age 65 bottled up in subcommittee until Pretard and ALPO did their push poll (taking one survey question out of context) and told Mica behind closed doors to release the bill from subcommittee.
Age 65 couldn't have happened without ALPO sponsorship.
Having 'played' in the corridors of the Capital building, that's the way things really work.

Very accurate, but you can't leave out the huge pressure from Europe with ICAO. They passed it first, and for the US, it was just a matter of time.

Latest resources

Back