• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Germanwings plane crashed intentionally by F/O

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think he means having a stewardess come into the cockpit when a crewmember vacates for any reason
This policy is not in place to prevent the crew member left behind from committing mass murder, this policy is in place because the airlines in the US are too cheap to equip the A/C's with security cameras..., the purpose of the C/A on the flight deck is to look through the peep hole and make sure the pilot returning is alone.

Many companies around the world use security cameras thus the procedure is not required....!

Think about it.., if this guy's intention was to do this, what's to prevent him from grabbing the ax and knocking the C/A out..! His intention was to KILL everyone, what difference would have made 110 pound girl on the flight deck..!

This policy is not in place to prevent the crew member left behind from committing mass murder, this policy is in place because the airlines in the US are too cheap to equip the A/C's with security cameras..., the purpose of the C/A on the flight deck is to look through the peep hole and make sure the pilot returning is alone.
I think your assertion is absolutely incorrect.

When cockpit doors became hardened, the presence of another person in the cockpit was to ensure that if the remaining flight crew member became incapacitated, there would be someone on the flight deck to open the door in the case of emergency.

Call me crazy, or call me old skool- but I believe in "payin your dues" be it flying freight, fighters, or flight instructing. Our way ensures that guys in the cockpit actually really want to be there.

^^^^^^^^^^
THIS

Andy, you are so far off base and clueless on this one it's best to just let it go.

Unfortunately, there will always be a loophole one way or another. Just about every profession has one, one way or another. The last line of defense is trust of your employees. If they go insane, at some level they can probably accomplish their last cowardly act. Ie; soldier throwing a grenade in the tent, postal worker going "postal", pilot crashing the plane. Fortunately these incidents are RARE, so hopefully cooler heads will prevail and life goes on. Unfortunately, not for those on the Germanwings flight. :(

Andy, you are so far off base and clueless on this one it's best to just let it go.

I've already stated that a college degree requirement isn't a psych screen; it's about making sure that pay erosion stops. If you don't have a college degree, wages will eventually erode to the point where the entire payscale is commensurate with long haul truck drivers. With that comes erosion in the quality of pilots.

If you think that a non-degreed pilot who's being paid $30K/yr as a guppy captain is a good thing (and the FO making $18K/yr), fine. I would expect that there will be more of this type of issue with that type of workforce because the quality of the workforce would deteriorate.

Last edited:
College is way overrated.

All this time trolling on here for sympathy over three posts about how you are such a great pilot without a degree is time wasted while some of you without could have been working online to get one. I don't make the rules but I put on the uni and played under them.

Last edited:
College only means the pilot likely knows how to hold his liquor during layovers.

I've already stated that a college degree requirement isn't a psych screen; it's about making sure that pay erosion stops. If you don't have a college degree, wages will eventually erode to the point where the entire payscale is commensurate with long haul truck drivers. With that comes erosion in the quality of pilots.

If you think that a non-degreed pilot who's being paid $30K/yr as a guppy captain is a good thing (and the FO making $18K/yr), fine. I would expect that there will be more of this type of issue with that type of workforce because the quality of the workforce would deteriorate.

So you think that your college degree makes you immune to clinical depression?

I'm fully supportive of the idea of requiring a college degree to drive up wages, but it has absolutely nothing to do with this accident, and it's actually a bit offensive that you would try to tie them together.

In the US we have to report all visits to Doctors. With what has been reported on this guy there is a good chance, depending upon the AME, that this guy would not be issued a medical.

BTW: The college degree has nothing to do with this. The only place I have seen the college degree make a big uniform difference in a pilot is an Academy graduate. The rest colleges are all over the board. Some the finest mentors, leaders and gifted sticks I flew in Vietnam were Navy Nav Cads, pilots who did not have college degrees.

CNN reported(I know its CNN) this morning that police found a sick note for the pilot from his doctor stating that said he was unfit to fly. He ignored the letter.

Latest resources

Back