• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Frustrated

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It IS whinning when you complain about something that isn't going to change and you can do nothing about.

1. Flying is a job, not a life.

2. You will probably be furloughed sometime in your career and you need backup skills.

3. It is possible that you could lose your medical certificate and be forced out of the profession.

What is the cost of college degree? Maybe $35k at a state school? What's the cost of your flight training? Maybe $50,000?

Right today, what's the 2nd year pay at a major airline? . . . . about $85,000.

Look into scholarships, loans, etc. and start you college degree next semester.

Like many alluded to here, the best arguement for a college education is that it gives you a foudation for doing something else. I would get a degree in something other than "Aeronautical Science". There are no guarrentees in this life. You may never become a professional pilot - then where would you be. If you can't handle going to school and flight training at the same time, then I'd say you are already in the wrong business. Professional pilots are life long seekers of higher and recurrent education - you are never out of school for very long.

PFT aside, I have had many a wingman that have been flying much higher performing jets than you'll ever see with a lot less than 550 hours. What you have accomplished is nothing to brag about.

Personally, I can deal with you flying a jet next month and why would someone like me be p!ssed at you? PFT or not, I lump airline pilots in with everyone else I pay to get me where I want to go whether it be across an ocean or across town.

"You probably couldnt afford to fly on this aircraft with your lousy government salary"

That is oh so true...your insight is awe inspiring

What I think I'm more worried about is not getting a degree, but when should I get a degree? I want it before I'm 30 years old (in 13 years) but are not going to go right to university right when I finish high school. I'm just not ready nor know what I want to take. What if I instead, got my privates probably next spring, get all my other licenses like the multi engine, COMM, etc then worked for somebody? I think that would be good because then I can get paid for flying then I would go to university at the same time because this time, I will have the money and won't have to learn 2 hard things at the same time. What about getting a diploma? I may get that and then get a degree later on. Either way, I'm not putting off flying for college and because that is just how my brain works. I'm not going to learn 2 really hard things at the same time. Probably going to get bashed as usual for this. Either way, I am going to do to university and get a degree, it just won't be right when I get out of high school and I will peruse all my licenses first because that is my priority. How does this sound? I just have a feeling that this is what I should I do.

I am going to stop asking these kind of questions here because the many different opinions of people are just too much for me. Between the 1001 answers here and my parents answers, I don't know who to believe anymore. Instead of trying to find an answer, I have done worse and have gotten my brain into thinking overload. From now on, I'm only going to go to either my parents, or real life pilots for questions like this. Your answers are all really appreciated and I thank all of you for responding so well to my questions, but I realize that it just does me no good to seek trouble of finding 1001 opinions. It just leaves me worst off in the end.

I was saying to my parents last night, I just want to be prepared. I don't want to be unprepared for the big picture. I want to have a happy life when I'm older with the job I want, a happy marriage and everything. I have seen how not being prepared and not making decisions to late in life have destroyed peoples lives. I want to get all the worry out of the way and over with so that I won't have to go through it later on. The thing is, I'm looking too much at the big picture. I need to look at what I need to do now and worry about crossing that bridge when I need to. Its just my character. Prepare for things. Don't do the test if you haven't studied and then fail. That is what I'm trying to put my future as. I don't want to be too late. This is where I wish I would start putting more of my faith in the big guy up above us. Only he knows what is the right answer for me and what is the right way for me. I need to start listening more to him, and less to the world.

So for now, I am going to put off all this silly worry, only worry about getting my privates, and worry about getting a degree when I will really need it and know more of what I will do. And I'm just going to concentrate on flying for now because that is what I love. I'm not going to let something ruin it for me.

You can certainly be a professional pilot without the four-year degree. I know people who don't have the degree and are flying for a living. Heck, Richard Bach (author) doesn't have a college degree.

There are plenty of flying jobs out there for folks without a degree. However, if your goal is to get to an airline, then you're going to need it. As for how to afford it: good grades, scholarships, grants, working while in school, and student loans are the key. I had to do all the above and managed without financial help from my parents.

adam_jorgensen said:
What I think I'm more worried about is not getting a degree, but when should I get a degree . . . .
Do yourself a favor. Go to college full tiime right out of high school, work hard at it, graduate, and get it out of the way while your mind is essentially in "school" mode. I can virtually guarantee that if you don't you never will go to college. You will get caught up with work, whatever it may be, and will never find the time for school. Don't make that mistake. Just do it.

Lots of luck with your plans.

not to be rude here, but is adam getting on anyone else's nerves? asking a question, then arguing with people about their feedback. no matter how many times you ask the question, you're going to get the same answer. i'm in your shoes right now except a little farther up the road with less time to screw around. am i whining? am i b*tching? am i misspelling college? (by the way, lol at saabstory's post. hahaha) no. stop whining. (pretty sure you misspelled that too)

again, not trying to be rude, but i had to say something. grow up.

starvingcfi

Latest resources

Back