• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Free TYPEs for ATA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I see that you are a proponent of the entitlement society, comrade.
Nope. I'm a proponent of strict time limits on food stamps as well as unemployment benefits. They exist to hold people over until they can get a job, not to support people for life.

It's not about entitlement, it's about taking advantage of the programs that YOU need when YOU have paid into them for all your adult life.

I look at it as an insurance policy. I pay premiums (taxes) and when I have an event that requires a payout (unemployment), I expect a return on my premiums. Period.

That's not "entitlement"; that's receiving benefits that I ALREADY PAID FOR. It's not rocket science.

If you are angry about the amount of taxes you have paid, I agree with you. That is not the issue.
I didn't say it WAS the issue. I also didn't say I was mad about the amount of taxes I pay (I'm not crazy about it, but it's about the same as any proposed "flat tax" would be after my deductions).

What I DID say was that, as a taxpayer, I have every right to take advantage of any programs that will benefit me should I become unemployed. I've already paid for that right. What about this is difficult to understand?

Extrapolate out type ratings, or the equivalent cost, among the literally millions of other workers who have lost their jobs, you would see that the concept is untenable.
First, it's not "millions" of pilots out of jobs, which is what this thread is about: retraining of unemployed pilots by paying for type ratings.

Second, like I said, if those pilots have paid taxes, they have paid for these benefits. End of story. By YOUR reasoning, it was unfair to tax those pilots in the first place, as you would cut them all off without a dime the day the company shut down? Because unemployment benefits are just a "government handout" and those are bad, right? What about food stamps while you're on unemployment looking for a job? Bad again?

Where's the cutoff between "bad" acceptance of government aid, and "good" acceptance of government aid, if you've been a taxpayer for all of your adult life?

Please inform us, oh sanctimonious one, because YOUR ideas of right and wrong MUST be the correct ones... :rolleyes:

Of course, if you are just a crybaby that has to rely on the 'gubment to fix all of your personal shortcomings, then maybe six type ratings will do the trick. Your problem is that I, and millions of other taxpayers, oppose this abuse of public funds, Buddy.
I don't know, "Buddy"... I'm hearing crickets on your side of the fence. Where are those other "millions"?

Here's a hint: it's not an "abuse" of public funds if you are the one who gave them those funds in the first place; I think you're the only one here saying it is.

When you are the only one screaming your "message", maybe something is wrong with the way YOU think...?

Just a thought.

Good luck to everyone who is job seeking or will be soon...

Last edited:
"Would you rather have a pilot collect 25k in unemployment picking his ass, or would you rather spend that money to get that pilot back to work so he can start paying taxes again?"

I would rather "pick my ass", collect Unemployment, get a free Type Rating....and then, Retire and collect more kraP that you people pay for. (!)

But, that's just me.....A Hardcore Conservative Learning To Accept Liberal Ways / Hippocrite.

God Bless Amerika....and, ME.

Love,

YKMKR

Last edited:
I see that you are a proponent of the entitlement society, comrade.

I see your part of the elitist, "I've got mine so screw you " society.

Typical far right Rush Limbaugh lovin' Ultra-Conservative. Can't wait until November.

Well, here goes.

Lear70, your description of 'gubment is nothing more than self rationalizations. I didn't know that our government was created solely to insure the prosperity of Lear70. Why don't you pick up a book sometime and read about the original purpose of unemployment insurance. It was never meant to bail out any individual worker, but rather to prevent a regional economic collapse resulting from a large number of layoffs in a small region. The program has suffered from mission creep. Also, you do not get to cherry-pick what the government does with your money once you've made your "voluntary contribution" to the IRS. They have alot of legitimate, necessary, silly, or evil things to do with that money before they worry about you, Lear70. As far as food stamps and the rest, if you are in need, by all means use it. I suspect you don't need it, however. Back on topic, when there are going to be, say, 30% fewer "major" airline type jobs as well as fewer corporate flying jobs in the present or near future, how does a taxpayer funded type rating realistically improve the chances of gaining employment when there are few or no viable jobs to be had? You have the right to pursue any career that you wish. You are not entitled to career success. You, I, and everyone else needs to face the fact that there is an excess of labor for this industry and that the excess labor will have to move to lower rungs of aviation or leave the industry.

Hal, thank you for your invitation, but I'll decline. I don't think that you would need a whatever type rating working for that certain company out of ORD. You are better than that, I think. Also, see above.

Jetjockey, you amuse me, but there is evidence available to you to prove that your statement is not correct. You just need to look for it. What I have, I've earned. It could be gone tomorrow. It is not the taxpayers' fault or responsibility to ensure that I can forever fly a Boeing.

Whine Lover. Rams, is that you? You are the one that best explains the situation with such brevity and honesty. If anyone gets a free, unnecessary type rating, I hope it is you. You, more than most people, will appreciate the sticking it to the Man. How about a useless type, like a L188, L1011, or B727. Oh yea, you already have one of those. Take care Rams!

The government would rather you get a job making the same or better money than you were with the job you lost. That way, you pay more taxes, you spend more money, you contribute more to the economy, etc... As such, they'd rather pay for a type rating for you to be able to get a job like that, than not contribute at all.

See, here's the thing... at least in our program (Aloha), we don't just pick a type rating out of a hat, and have the government fork over the cash. We actually have to reason why we want a specific type rating, prove that it would help us get a job, or if it's a more expensive type rating, you need to provide a letter from an employer flying that equipment stating they'll hire you with that type rating. It's not just a blanket handout.

$25k+ collecting unemployment and no guarantee of a job or have the gubmint give that up right away in type rating money in exchange for me start paying taxes again...

Well, I'm no math major, but if I were running this show, I'd still opt for the latter...

God bless ya Apache, you earned everything you have. So have 99% of other professional pilots. When your done patting yourself on the back, pray you never need assistance in one way or another.

I'd like you imagine some tough times, like your airline, or flight department shutting down.

Are you telling us all here you wouldn't accept assistance? No unemployment, no additional training offered? These men are not looking for handouts. They have suffered the fate of a inept, and greedy group of asset managers. Show some compassion. You may need some yourself some day.

God bless ya Apache, you earned everything you have. So have 99% of other professional pilots. When your done patting yourself on the back, pray you never need assistance in one way or another.

I'd like you imagine some tough times, like your airline, or flight department shutting down.

Are you telling us all here you wouldn't accept assistance? No unemployment, no additional training offered? These men are not looking for handouts. They have suffered the fate of a inept, and greedy group of asset managers. Show some compassion. You may need some yourself some day.

It seems to be very important to you to have me show you some compassion, Jetjockey. Typical liberal bleeding heart behavior.

I've been laid off three times and I have worked for ATA. ATA's demise is no different than any other airline's. Why should these people receive special dispensation, Jetjockey? Because you are one of them? It seems as if a bit of ink on a new certificate is very important to you and a few others but it will provide NO guarantee of gainful employment. That is what is called a bad investment. You were hired by at least one company without a specific type rating, why do you need another one? Because it is compassionate? Grow up.

Hey Apache... how the F**K do you know about "NO guarantee of gainful employment?" I take it you didn't even read about how this works.

If you truly believe that the government is just handing out checks to FSI/Simuflite/Alteon just to be 'compassionate'.... I have some beachfront property in Yuma for you.

Hey Apache... how the F**K do you know about "NO guarantee of gainful employment?" I take it you didn't even read about how this works.

If you truly believe that the government is just handing out checks to FSI/Simuflite/Alteon just to be 'compassionate'.... I have some beachfront property in Yuma for you.

And you eat with that mouth Freight Dog? Must be the endearing custom of your trailerpark in Yuma.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back