• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Free TYPEs for ATA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I hope there's that much money available per individual. Seriously.

A Gee- type or a Falcon 2000 EASy, etc, will run you $25,000-35,000, three weeks in hotels and meals, and there's a 12-18 month wait unless you happen to "get lucky" and can jump on a last-minute cancellation.

Last time, they only gave between $1,500 and 3,000 per pilot (Workforce Improvement Act funds). Wasn't even enough to go get a 737 type rating (which everyone and their brother has now).

Incidentally yes, with the type and currency, there are still a dozen or so jobs in the U.S. and about as many overseas that will take you with extensive PIC experience in the 91 or 135 bizjet world.

Coming out of airlines-only background? Not so much...

Best of luck!

That's what I was afraid of...

Press Release
The Indiana Department of Workforce Development (DWD) received approval today for a $3.52 million grant to retrain nearly 350 former ATA employees. The National Emergency Grant, from the U.S. Department of Labor, primarily pays tuition costs related to earning an associate degree in information technology, health care or other high-wage, high-demand careers.

“Indiana’s economy provides a variety of diverse career options,” said Teresa Voors, DWD commissioner. “ATA’s former workforce is talented and this program will assist them in making the transition to a new occupation.”

The grant pays up to $6,000 per person for the completion of an associate degree in an approved training program. Funds also will be available for supportive services, such as child care and housing assistance, for those participating in long-term training. Details of the program are currently being finalized and DWD will contact past ATA employees in early July with further details.

Many former ATA employees are already receiving intensive services through WorkOne offices across the state including skills assessment, career counseling, resume development and help finding jobs. This additional funding will allow workers to receive more training.
I'm still trying to figure out the math. $3.52 Million divided by 350 pilots is $10,000 a piece, but only $6,000 is available per person.

Who's pocketing the other $4k?

Can't speak to the ATA deal but Aloha pilots would be getting B737,767,777 ratings under their proposed deal with the state of Hawaii.

GV or GEX ratings are in the 50+ range if your just a walk in, which is what would probably be the case here.

UAL has refused to rent sim time to Boeing/Alteon so they train these Aloha pilots. Something in their working agreement allows them to call these shots. To bad as the longer your out of work, the less desireable you become to an employer.

Maybe ALPA national could put some pressure on the UAL MEC to help out their fellow airman?

Who would hire me with just a type and no experience? I mean besides SWA. They've pretty much told me they ain't gonna hire me.

How 'bout a Citation X? Ya think XO might take a look-see?

Halin,

There are PLENTY of corporate/charter jobs that would LOVE to hire someone with a zero-time-type. No initial required for them to hire you - only a PC.

-fate

Release #08.ATA4
June 26, 2008

For Immediate Release
ALPA Helps Secure U.S. Department of Labor Emergency Funds to Put ATA Pilots Back on the Line
Multi-million Dollar Grant to State of Indiana will Hone Crewmembers’ Skills, Aid in Job Search

CHICAGO – Pilot leaders of the Air Line Pilots Association, Int’l (ALPA) ATA Airlines unit led a successful campaign with the State of Indiana for the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) to grant ATA cockpit crewmembers emergency funds for re-employment services. Virtually the entire workforce of ATA suddenly found themselves unemployed when ATA shut down on April 3.
The Department of Labor recently announced a grant exceeding $3.5 million to assist hundreds of employees at Indianapolis-based ATA, including more than 100 pilots and flight engineers. The DOL will release almost $1.4 million immediately and make additional funding available as Indiana demonstrates a continued need to serve these workers.
“This news is a ray of hope for the Hoosier-based crewmembers, who were proud to work at ATA,” said Capt. Steve Staples, chairman of ALPA’s ATA pilot group. “It should help a great deal in enabling our members to find new jobs, and especially to help them retrain in new aircraft types. I’m proud that ALPA was able to assist our ATA pilots in this tangible way, because that’s what our labor union is all about.”
The grant, issued to the Indiana Department of Workforce Development (DWD), gives the DWD additional funds to send ATA pilots to flight schools so that they can earn type ratings in more modern aircraft, making them more marketable to airlines seeking pilots.
Many of ATA’s crewmembers are type-rated in older, 1970s-era aircraft like the Lockheed L-1011 and the McDonnell-Douglas DC-10, airplanes that are becoming increasingly rare as airlines shift to newer, more fuel-efficient types. But training for new aircraft systems can cost an unemployed pilot thousands of dollars, often making such training unaffordable without government assistance.
Working with the ALPA Government Affairs Department, Staples urged key congressional leaders to speed the approval of the emergency grant. ALPA staff will coordinate with DWD officials to support ATA crewmembers, helping them to more easily access the Workforce Investment Act funds for training.
Earlier this year ALPA also played a role in working with the State of Hawaii to secure a $5 million emergency grant to assist Hawaiian-based employees of ATA and Aloha Airlines, which both went out of business in the same week.
“On behalf of the ATA pilot group, I’d like to thank Labor Secretary Elaine Chao, DWD Commissioner Teresa Voors, and especially Rep. Andre Carson (D-Ind.) and the entire Indiana congressional delegation for securing these vitally-needed training funds,” Staples said. “I’d also like to thank Sens. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) and Barack Obama (D-Ill.), who initially requested emergency funding from the Department of Labor when ATA shut down in April.”
Staples said his next goal is to secure emergency funding for Illinois-based airline employees. After Indiana, Illinois has more laid-off ATA workers than any other state.
Founded in 1931, ALPA is the world’s largest pilots union, representing 55,000 pilots at 40 airlines in the U.S. and Canada. Visit the ALPA Web site at www.alpa.org for more information.

Well done ALPA.

Capt Steve Staples. I wonder if he was the ALPA-N guy who advised TWA during the AA/TWA merger?

It was a joke about his last name.

A priest, a rabbi and a rabbit walk into a bar .....

Latest resources

Back