• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fractional bases?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have no idea how much land mass a 2 hour circle would cover and I'm not wasting any time trying to figure it out. Now we are arguing just for the sake of arguing. NetJets pilots can live wherever they want and the vast majority of the US is within a reasonable drive to one of the bases. There are plenty of pilots who make it happen from the middle of nowhere. I have no idea what the rules are for the other fracs and how many bases they have. It would make sense that they too would just have to be at their base at the start of their duty period and that they could choose the base that they want from the list they have, but I don't know their rules. There was a time when NJA had a limit on how far away you could be and many fewer choices, but that isn't the case anymore and I don't see that ever happening again at NJA with all the pilots who are so spread out. Anyway, I'm done with this thread. I'm sure the original poster would appreciate info on how it works at the others though.

No, I didn't.

Unless you allow the "you can live anywhere as long as you get to your gateway" argument. If that's a fair argument then a frac with ONE gateway could say you can live anywhere, just like NetJets and we both know that would be BS.

Take all your gateways in the us. Draw a 2 hour circle around them. I still think there is more land mass in the US outside the circles than in.
That been done. There isn't much space left over ... and that space is largely uninhabited. I will try to get you that map.

Don't bother. I think I'll concede the bet. Upon further reflection, a two hour drive is about 150 miles. That's a 300 mile diameter circle around all 200 of your gateways. I wasn't counting on such big circles and was counting on the mid west being big enough to make me right.

If you actually took the time to trim out of those circles all the bits that are un-commutable due to lack of roads or whatever I think I still might be right, but that's splitting hairs. You guys win.

Last edited:
No, I didn't.

Unless you allow the "you can live anywhere as long as you get to your gateway" argument. If that's a fair argument then a frac with ONE gateway could say you can live anywhere, just like NetJets and we both know that would be BS.

Take all your gateways in the us. Draw a 2 hour circle around them. I still think there is more land mass in the US outside the circles than in.

Why are you making up an arbitrary 2 hour circle? I used to be based at LAX and lived in Seattle. Totally fine with the company as long as I was in LAX for the start of my tour.

Self edited for sarcastic remarks.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back