Foriegners flying 121

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jamiestrat

Are there any non-US citizens here flying for US airlines? If so, is it much of a headache getting your homeland security checks? How often do they occur?
The reason is that I am a British citizen (have green card) who recently went for an interview with a regional. The Human Resources lady said it may be a problem as far as check rides and line checks go. Is there still not some procedure in place 6 years after 9/11 to make things a little easier for upstanding and legal foriegners to gain employment in the airline industry?

The TSA just needs to approve your training. As long as you have a work permit, you can be employed. The problem lies in receiving flight training towards a license or a type rating.

Read on https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov/afsp_faq.htm#C0

I guess we are Category 1.

If you've already trained in the US, the TSA should have some sort of record on you.
But its still $130 to the feds and stupid waste of time every single time you want to do anything new and exciting, like getting a job.

Yeah maybe I should have explained my situation a bit better. I received all my ratings here in the US so the TSA is well aware of me. I understand I would have to get another check to get my type rating, but the interviewers had eluded to the fact that I would have to get another security check every time I went to sim school for recurrent (sp?) training. If that is the case, that would be a total pain in the ass to even think about working for an airline. Every 6 months i would be waiting for permission to fly again.

It's no big deal, go to www.https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov/student_help.htm

sign up, put in all your info. go get fingerprints done. ( do all this as early in the process as possible it can take up to 6 weeks to get approved) Once your offered a position the 121 company has to give you a class date for your training, the TSA sends them an Email asking for confirmation and the ball is rolling. This will cost you 130 dollars (some airlines will pay it)

Biggest thing is to get the info and prints in asap.

I have been flying as a British national here in the us (Part 121) since 2000 and I also did all my training here in the US. Immediately after 9/11 there were delays in getting my 121 training approved every now and then although they were not lengthy delays.
I don't know exactly what happens every time I go for recurrent every six months although from my limited understanding the training does have to be approved for all non US citizens. That being said it shouldn't be a problem though...
As for one other point... I have attended a few different aviation conferences and the vast majority of the different airlines have no problems with my nationality, although there have been a few that have unofficially told me that a US passport may help for my prospects in the future.

Just my 2 Pence
Cheerio

Thanks EX....that's exactly what I wanted to know. The interviewers were very keen to know if I was willing to get a US passport. I am willing, but only as a dual citizen. Did you incur any flight privileges being revoked while they were going through the security process at your 6 month training sessions??

Jaimestrat,

If you are going to become a US citizen I would apply now. You can download the forms and fill them in yourself, no need for a lawyer. The fees are about to almost double, currently $400.

As far as dual nationality goes the US doesn't recognise it but they do accept that you could still be a British citizen because of conflicts in the national laws. So in short you have to use your US passport to leave or enter the US but could use your British or US passport anywhere else.

Depending on where you live it takes 4+ months minimum to become a US citizen ( assuming you have held a green card for 5 years or 3 if married to a US citizen)

As far as the authorization to take 6 month checkrides are concerned it is the usual sensible government rules. If your company does not receive the authorization you cannot go into the sim for your checkride until the authorization comes through but you can go out and fly a revenue flight in the aircraft - makes a lot of sense doesn't it!

Latest resources

Back