• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

For those who quit the regionals...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm giving it up. It's a great job when the cockpit door is closed. In my 5 years at OH it has all been downhill. The only positive I had was when I was based in my home city for 8 months on reserve. I'm gonna miss the flying but not as much as commuting to DTW. Hopefully this industry eventually turns around and there are better days for all of us. I have no idea what I'm gonna do but I'd rather be Al Bundy and sell shoes then commute to reserve in DTW in a few months. Good luck to all.

LXA, good sobering reminder of how the best of intentions can go so wrong. It happens in all industries, but the pilot profession seems to attract a much more emotionally attached crowd then the bricklayers union.

Many of us from the military have no real appreciation for the years of toil it takes to get your experience on the civil side and all you hear is how everyone started in a rj with 250 hours.

This 9/11, recession, age 65 stagnation, and transition of mainline flying to regional jobs has done more to put a sobering spin on the 121 pilot profession than any other generation.

Now we just wait for the UAV's to take over!
Luv

Funny you should mention UAVs! When I first read this article I posted it on the Majors section because the author seems to be suggesting from the perspective of a retired pilot that the Southwest model is the one to use post-Deregulation if we want this piloting career to survive into the future.
http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=141012&page=2
The moderators moved it to the General Aviation section. However, I think it has more to do with Regional pilots working on food stamps and quitting to work at McDonalds.
Regional Airline Pilots on Food Stamps

I was toiling as an FO at a "good" regional (my second regional btw) just after 9/11. No upgrade in sight, in spite of being a captain at my previous regional for a few years. I was offered a job as an associate professor at a prestigious university as well as being their chief flight instructor. That career was worth low six figures and would have allowed my kids an education at no cost while keeping me home every night and weekend.

I chose to stay at the regional. I am currently flying as an FO for an international carrier with decent pay and conditions. I do not regret my decision to stay in the profession. At the same time, I would not do it all over again knowing what I know now.

Just today I was cleaning out some stuff from my childhood at my mother's house. I had a pile of about 30 airplane books (Janes World Aircraft, Airplane Spotters Guide) and some of my books from pvt to ATP (1990's vintage) and some of my father's books from his pvt and military flying(1960/70/80's vintage).

I had them set aside to donate to the local library for their summer book sale, planning to drop them off next week after my trip this weekend. My mom suggested that my 8 year old nephew may want some of the "airplane books".

I quickly stopped what I was doing, loaded them into my truck and drove them to the library before anymore damage cold be done to a family member.

BTW I also found my rubix cube, x-wing fighter (Chewi was in the cockpit - can't find Luke) and Han Solo blaster gun. Anyone know if a 1982 Mike Schmidt baseball card is worth anything?

Last edited:
I quickly stopped what I was doing, loaded them into my truck and drove them to the library before anymore damage cold be done to a family member.

Good call!

The X Wing fighter and Chewy will bring you some extra cash.

Yeah, I sold my Star Wars stuff from the 80's, well used, on ebay for $500 a few years back. I didn't have that much left to be honest. I was quite happy. It may have coincided with the release of episode III though, so there may have been a bit of a bubble.

Korean Air A330 Capt, and NO REGRETS whatsoever.

I cannot understand why anyone would contemplate more than a few years in a regional airline.

Sat behind a desk for a 10+ years, thought I could make my hobby of 15 years another career … looking back I really miss it...going to lunch with coworkers and customers, friends and family, get off when I needed, never missing the kids ball games or Xmas (huge), helping with homework, cookouts with friends, Saturdays at the lake, etc. I’m one of the lucky ones, after 5 years at this airline, working 4 day week typically means I get to see my family about 40% of the time, those that upgraded at 6 years will not see another weekend or vacation in July for another decade because there are to many senior not leaving. Sure you can go to a major and spend the next decade working weekends but that is not for me. Flying is a lonely job with a great deal of liability, lots of shear boredom in the air and in a hotel room. We spend a lot of time away not supporting our families, there is a lot of life that passes us by while we sit earning $1.80/hr in a hotel or airport. Then there is the fact we never do any strategic brain activity, no real decision making, its already planned out in the FOM or OM....we just turn left turn right park.... Do the same thing day in day out. No sense of accomplishment…..320+ hours per month away from base…paid for 75 hours…. this is the life (of a regional pilot). I’m just glad I only spent about $20k to get here….it all depends on what you want in life, living on the road out of a bag or with your family…I see a lot of stressed people that cant get out due to lack of other skills or being financially strapped, way to many broken homes …for me I’m over this, life does have a lot more to offer I’ve seen the other side and the grass was greener.

Latest resources

Back