Flying with gout

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gout

Gout is an inhereted disease where the blood uric acid level (a protein waste product) is high. Some patients make too much uric acid, others make a normal amount but don't eliminate it well. It is not contagious and the only way to have avoided it would have been to select different parents, as it is inherited.

If the diagnosis reallly is gout, the usual treatment is a very benign drug called allopurinol - which reduces your production of uric acid and prevents gout "arthritis" attacks. The overall health effects of gout, if properly treated with daily medication, are very small.

Allopurinol is not a drug for acute attacks of gout - it is maintenance therapy to prevent attacks. Allopurinol is generic, very cheap and usually has no side effects. It is not mood altering or addicting and the FAA has no problem with it.

Properly treated, you are eligible for any class medical. The AME can issue the certificate at the time of your exam, assuming you are otherwise eligible. Your AME may require some simple blood work (uric acid, BUN, creatinine). As has been previously discussed, your AME usually should not also be your personal physician.

You probably should temporarily self-disqualify if you are having an acute attack of gouty arthritis. When it's under control you're good to go.

Proper medical treatment makes acute attacks extremely rare. The other potential complication of high uric acid is uric acid kidney stones - again easily prevented by proper treatment (i.e. allopurinol).

Screw around with "Alka-Seltzer", acupuncture or other folk remedies and you are likely to end up with a uric acid kidney stone, which is a big deal for your medical. You'll spend some time, hassle and $ trying to get (or keep) your medical if you have recurrent kidney stones - usually a consultation from a urologist and a CT scan or IVP - all at your expense.

Summary - see your personal physician and get on the right medicine. If you do, you'll be fine with your medical.

(semi-related plug: The aeromedical information available to AOPA members is itself probably worth the membership dues)

Last edited:
OPECJet said:
Amen to that. I've had a recurring problem with a foot that has me near tears some days. I've had to fly with it a couple of times. Holding the brakes, and punching the right rudder pedal can be a tear jerker. It's worried me enough once to call out for it (i.e. engine failure and not being able to use the rudder properly). Blood tests for uric acid came back negative, so back to the drawing board.

If your uric acid level is normal, it is unlikely to be gout. I bet your doctor already told you that.

Latest resources

Back