Flying with gout

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sluggo_63

Does anyone have any experience being diagnosed with gout and what hoops have to be jumped through for the FAA?

Sluggo 63

My best friend has been flying with gout for years; he was at United and then went to a LCC. He's never had any problems with the FAA or during the United's pre-employment medical. He’s taking medication for it every day and sometimes when he forgets the pill, or has had too many beers ;) his joints swell up really bad. I remember one time he had to go to the emergency room and had his knee “drained!” Sounds petty nasty but he said it helped. Good luck to you.

aerobaticspilot said:
what you dont tell the feds will not hurt you remember that

Amen to that. I've had a recurring problem with a foot that has me near tears some days. I've had to fly with it a couple of times. Holding the brakes, and punching the right rudder pedal can be a tear jerker. It's worried me enough once to call out for it (i.e. engine failure and not being able to use the rudder properly). Blood tests for uric acid came back negative, so back to the drawing board.

OPECJet said:
Amen to that. I've had a recurring problem with a foot that has me near tears some days. I've had to fly with it a couple of times. Holding the brakes, and punching the right rudder pedal can be a tear jerker. It's worried me enough once to call out for it (i.e. engine failure and not being able to use the rudder properly). Blood tests for uric acid came back negative, so back to the drawing board.

Dude, you'd be a perfect candidate for acupuncture...don't take pharmaceuticals to fix that problem, they'll just make a drug addict out of you.

Same with you Sluggo. You might want to check it out...acupuncture will reroute/repair your inner 911 system and get you back on track.

Last edited:
FN FAL said:
Dude, you'd be a perfect candidate for acupuncture...don't take pharmaceuticals to fix that problem, they'll just make a drug addict out of you.

Same with you Sluggo. You might want to check it out...acupuncture will reroute/repair your inner 911 system and get you back on track.

It fixes everything.

I used to get gout until I found out about a home remedy that is worth a try. It's so simple that you won't believe it. Alka-seltzer. no joke. I was told to take a packet of alka-seltzer(two tablets mixed with a cup of water) three times a day. Once in the morning, once in the middle of the day, and once before bed. My gout was gone the next day. It has worked for me three times and has also worked for my father. Let us know if you try it. The old commercial, " plop plop fizz fizz, oh what a relief it is" never meant so much.

Did anyone try the Alka-Seltzer for gout? I think I made it look like a one day remedy in the first post but it can take a couple of days of drinking the alka seltzer. It just so happened to work for me in a day.Bell47

Latest resources

Back