• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flexjet Union Drive on the move

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Has anyone noticed how many union naysayers there are with a CL300 type rating? This is the biggest hurdle we have to getting the union in. New hires are happy because of those 2-3 day layovers in Europe or Hawaii, and the Capt's have the "I've got mine, pull up the rope" mentality. For the new hires, wait until you upgrade to the Lear fleet and actually have to work, get the 2am wake up several days in a row, and then get home at 2345 on your last day. It'll change your perspective. And for you Challenger Capt's, remember where you came from. For those of you that came from a Regional...don't compare the Teamsters to ALPA. The problem with ALPA is they always worked for 2% of 6 figures much harder than they did for 2% of 20K. We won't be facing that problem.
Talked to a CAB member the other day and was told that unless they get closure to some items that have been on the table for the last 2-3 years, the CAB will be disolved, gone, no more. I think even the CAB members have realized it is a form of Union busting in itself. It appears that the pilots have a voice, and it appears that management is listening, but nothing is ever accomplished.

Send the cards in!!!

Has anyone noticed how many union naysayers there are with a CL300 type rating? This is the biggest hurdle we have to getting the union in. New hires are happy because of those 2-3 day layovers in Europe or Hawaii, and the Capt's have the "I've got mine, pull up the rope" mentality. For the new hires, wait until you upgrade to the Lear fleet and actually have to work, get the 2am wake up several days in a row, and then get home at 2345 on your last day. It'll change your perspective. And for you Challenger Capt's, remember where you came from. For those of you that came from a Regional...don't compare the Teamsters to ALPA. The problem with ALPA is they always worked for 2% of 6 figures much harder than they did for 2% of 20K. We won't be facing that problem.
Talked to a CAB member the other day and was told that unless they get closure to some items that have been on the table for the last 2-3 years, the CAB will be disolved, gone, no more. I think even the CAB members have realized it is a form of Union busting in itself. It appears that the pilots have a voice, and it appears that management is listening, but nothing is ever accomplished.

Send the cards in!!!

I am a new hire and in the Lear fleet. I do get those 0dark30 wake up calls, long legs, long days and get home at 2355 sometimes but I say no union with all the other naysayers out there. If we join the Teamsters it will be just like the Majors against the Regionals all over again. NetJets having 2500+ pilots and Flex with only 400 pilots, the Teamsters will be more interested in helping where their main source of income comes from not a smallgroup like us. Then what happens is small companies like us get the sh*t end of the stick when it comes to contracts while NetJets get whatever they want. So Union is bad for Flex!

BURN YOUR CARDS!

Bailey
PS This is my real name not hiding like everyone else.

So, Bailey, are you advising that it's better not to even try because there's the possibility that your contract might not be as good as the NJ pilots got? Isn't some written protection better than none at all? Aren't improvements worth fighting for? Don't you believe that professional pilots deserve more compensation than less skilled workers who are home every night and don't take responsibility for lives and equipment worth millions? Do you not believe in the American right to vote?

Send the cards in!!!

Yes I am in the 300 and yes I was hired in Jan 06 and yes I am from the airlines, and yes I am against a union.

I get the 3am wakeup calls I get the long last day and I haven't yet gotten a 2-3 day layover anywhere, haven't even crosed the pond yet. I fly on adverage 70 hours amonth here, yeah I have had one month were I didn't fly that much (around 40 hours) but I have also had months were I flew around 80 hours.

So don't tell me your getting the short end because your in the Lear, at least you don't get 6 plus hour legs followed by another 3 hour leg. Now I am not complaing but why are you? I have friends in the Lear and they don't normally fly as much as I do, or atleast thats what they tell me.

Walsh

I'm sorry that things didn't work out for you, but it has for the pilots of 1108. Remember, fairness dictates that every group be judged on its own merits. Additionally, I strongly encourage every member to actively participate if they want good results. Any organization is a direct reflection of its membership's awareness and participation. Unfortunately, too many pilots think of the union as a separate entity instead of realizing that they are the union.

So, Bailey, are you advising that it's better not to even try because there's the possibility that your contract might not be as good as the NJ pilots got? Isn't some written protection better than none at all? Aren't improvements worth fighting for? Don't you believe that professional pilots deserve more compensation than less skilled workers who are home every night and don't take responsibility for lives and equipment worth millions? Do you not believe in the American right to vote?

I'm not a big fan of the argument that a union at flex will equal NJ's contract. We have different people here, different personalities, and that would lead to a different contract...maybe it'll take a lot longer than a year too.

What I am wondering is, have you lost anything at NJ thanks to the union?? How are relations with management and schedulers?? friendly??? They are at Flex. Sure as hell were not at my last union property. I do believe that management does want to improve our QOL and that they are working on it. Question is, will a union make it happen faster??? I'm not so sure, and I'm not so sure that it is worth the risk of losing the pleasant working enviroment. There are some things we want changed at Flex, but I think it can be done without the hassle of a union. I have not been there long enough though to have a good feeling of how fast/slow changes are coming along. I do know that a lot of people at Flex complain a hell of a lot more than necessary, but most are happy. I think that if it were voted on today, the union would only get a 25% yes vote at the most. Just my experience from the people I have run into.

And I might add that I am in the Lear fleet. I work a hell of a lot less now than I did at ACA/independence, and I will make more money this year than I ever did there. Sure the pay is better at NJ, but I don't think a union is a guaranteed fix-all. So....for now, not worth the trouble. Until they say "no gateways ever," or if a year from now there is no progress on that field, I'll let them keep working on it without the formality of a union. I may end up getting that ORD base sooner than if the Teamster did it thier way.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back