• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

First

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They don't like to come down vertically because then they can get into "settling with power", which means you smack into the ground.

Speaking of SWP...QUIZ TIME---what all do you need to get into that??

flyhighroller said:
Speaking of SWP...QUIZ TIME---what all do you need to get into that??

According to aeronautics engineers, a rate of descent in excess of 700ft per min to get into a fully developed conditions, while being at a airspeed that is lower than the point where you obtain max ETL for your make/model.

AFAIK know, most instructors teach ROD in excess of 300ft & below 30 kts to be on the safe side.

"ROD in excess of 300ft & below 30 kts to be on the safe side."

As I was taught:

ROD 100-300fpm
Near Vertical Decent (tailwinds bite you also)
Power applied (20-100%)

And you WILL know when S.W.P. arrives, the first time I experienced it, I thought the aircraft was falling apart...

Next quiz, what are the indications that you are in it and what do you do?

Hobit said:
And you WILL know when S.W.P. arrives, the first time I experienced it, I thought the aircraft was falling apart...

Decaying rotor rpm and airspeed as the collective is instinctively pulled into the armpit while you try to figure out what the fork is going on, then you remember what that crusty old guy taught you and as you instead lead with cyclic to gain airspeed and fly out of it before contacting the ground. Then you worry about writing up that overtorque.

Hobit said:

I was taught 300fpm or more descent, power applied to the rotor(any amount), and, airspeed below ETL(16-24 knots IAS, depending on model).

The primary indications of SWP are increased vibrations and increasing descent rate(which increases as you pull more collective). During a SWP demonstration, had a descent rate that pegged the VSI(maxes at 2,000fpm) within 10 seconds. More collective I pulled, the worse the vibrations got....and, presumably, the descent rate as well. We let it develop fully, then dropped the collective, pushed the cylic full forward, started bringing the collective back up at about 30 knots....leveled off within 300' of initiating the recovery, and this was in an estimated 3000fpm descent rate.

You know what I like about this tread is the recurring theme that everyone was taught about S.W.P. It is unfortunate that occasionally someone forgets what they were taught.

TundraT said:
the recurring theme that everyone was taught about S.W.P....
Yeah...and a bunch of other stuff. I wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer at flight school and I'd already scared myself plenty of times in airplanes forgetting what my instructor told me. But, after that first nickle ride at 'Rucker, I knew it wasn't about just scaring myself anymore, it was about the real possibility of augering in in one of these things before I even knew why. God bless CW4 Bobby Evans and his ability to teach idiots like me.

Latest resources

Back