Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
Helicopters are cool because they can hover motionless. The landing area only need be as large as the aircraft itself. Helicopters make everything possible. If your truck falls through the ice and is 300' underwater, a helicopter can get it out.....

All right! We got the forum!

Yeah, helicopters are very cool machines. I have to say I would have to see that 300' hoist line and the vertical lift that followed to believe that!

AWESOME! helicopters rawk! :)

btw unanswered - ideally you should have at least 200ft to land a helo. They don't like to come down vertically because then they can get into "settling with power", which means you smack into the ground.

mattpilot said:
btw unanswered - ideally you should have at least 200ft to land a helo. They don't like to come down vertically because then they can get into "settling with power", which means you smack into the ground.

You're right....but there are many times that there is NOT that much room to set one down. In a single, you're really trusting that the engine won't quit when you land in a confined area.....and you really have to watch your descent rate so you don't get into SWP. In a twin, you're not taking as much of a risk...it just depends on whether or not the thing can hover OGE single engine at that density altitude. If so, no problem. If not...well, you're in almost as bad of shape(maybe worse) as if you were in a single.

FracCapt said:
You're right....but there are many times that there is NOT that much room to set one down. In a single, you're really trusting that the engine won't quit when you land in a confined area.....and you really have to watch your descent rate so you don't get into SWP. In a twin, you're not taking as much of a risk...it just depends on whether or not the thing can hover OGE single engine at that density altitude. If so, no problem. If not...well, you're in almost as bad of shape(maybe worse) as if you were in a single.
One, two or three engines it doesn't matter. If you are going vertical into a confined area with an excessive rate of descent (greater than 300-500 fpm) you can easily get into settling with power especially if the aircraft is heavy. I'm not talking little R22 ,44 or even 206's. but with a UH-1, 222, S76, 430, if you exceed that, especially in a 222 you will fall right through and hit hard!!! We have to demonstrate this at every 6 month checkride, because we do go into extremely tight areas at gross weight. If you were to lose an engine, you can still only pull 100% torque, the same as with 2 engines. My motto is, "never go into a tight area, single or with all engines, unless you absolutely have too, or you do not have a way out" . Just my 2 cents.

cubflyr said:
One, two or three engines it doesn't matter. If you are going vertical into a confined area with an excessive rate of descent (greater than 300-500 fpm) you can easily get into settling with power especially if the aircraft is heavy. I'm not talking little R22 ,44 or even 206's. but with a UH-1, 222, S76, 430, if you exceed that, especially in a 222 you will fall right through and hit hard!!! We have to demonstrate this at every 6 month checkride, because we do go into extremely tight areas at gross weight. If you were to lose an engine, you can still only pull 100% torque, the same as with 2 engines. My motto is, "never go into a tight area, single or with all engines, unless you absolutely have too, or you do not have a way out" . Just my 2 cents.

And that my friend....is what separates the military from civilian pilots. You go into the tightest places because it is your job, and people depend on you for it. You go in with one engine or more, day or under NVGs. Not a problem when you are use to doing it.

Do I hear some horn tootin going on there, sort of one a "separates the men from the boys" swagger in that thar chattering keyboard of yours?

We all strive to see the mission accomplished, whatever it may be, civillian, military, and even us belt buckle wearing' crop dusters, big guy. Regardless of what we've done before.

What separates the living from the dead is hard, cold ground, powerlines, trees, obstacles, and yes, even settling with power.

Funny part is once you're dead, it doesn't really matter if you're reserve, active duty, civillian, or democrat.

Latest resources

Back