Fine Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
old ratty DC8

that really hurt to someone who thought that the DC8 was one of the all time great jets.

Frankly, this kind of flying is one hell of an opportunity for some. Interesting flying to interesting places where you meet interesting people. There is a lot of cool flying in places that are not like America.

I agree with the above post that old smokey worn out dc-8 is a classic mans jet. Not many people can say they have flown a four engine heavy to every country in south & central america, Japan, Diego Garcia, Russia, middle east, all over africa and other various locations. It beats flying eagle and coex and other regional flying to places like IAH, ATL, all day long. I will admit quality of life for a family man is much better at a regional but for a single guy the type of flying at Arrow is great experience.

My 2 cents,

Greasy driver

I'm married and still would take that DC8 job!!! But, I think we might need more hours still.....arrgh

Had a friend who worked at Fine back in the mid-90's. He paid $8000 to go to their in house FE school on the slim chance that they might hire him. (Only about half his class was offered a job, and half of them were furloughed after Christmas.)

Not much of a union, upgrade based on ass-kissing rather than seniority. Furlough based on seniority in your seat (thus upgrading took on a risk of furlough when times were hard!)

He left for Rich a year or two later. Now (6 airlines later) he's at Spirirt.

Don't think for a minute that all that "glamorous" international flying impresses the majors. My friend has had several interviews with no luck. His problem: plenty of right seat heavy time (DC-8's, 747's) but zero PIC. Someone from American actually told him they would rather see left seat time in a J-32 than right seat time in a 747.

Latest resources

Back