Fine Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BigFlyr

Anyone out there know anything about FINE AIR other than they are based in MIA and have crappy old DC-8s? They're starting to look pretty good if you know what I mean.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Just as an aside ...

I know it ain't glamerous ... and it probably don't pay well ... but I met a young guy (20s) at GSO two years ago who went to work with one of those cargo outfits (Fine or Arrow?) on the DC-8 panel at 500 hours in 1999, to the left seat at 1200, and is probably a DC-8 Captain by now.

A DC-8? I could do that aaaaaaaaall day. :D

Minh

Fine Air and another company merged (I can't remember the other company's name.) Anyway the new company is called Arrow Air. They are Miami based and they do fly DC-8's. Don't know much else about the place other than they do some South and Central America stuff. I believe they are all cargo.

I think you got it bassackwards...
Fine Air bought-out Arrow Air... its still Fine Air and they're hiring...into which seat I don't know but I intend to find out. Arrow Air's call sign was "Big A"... Now it's "Big F'n A" :D

My airline does charters for Fine Air on a regular basis. I have flown for them on a few trips. From what I can tell they have around 20 DC8s, most of which appear to be different models, ranging from -54 series that look like they are 40 years old, to newer (a relative term when you're talking about DC8s) -62 series aircraft. They had 4 L1011s until recently but just parked them all.

Their operation is mainly a hub and spoke system from Miami to various points in the Caribbean, Central and South America. 90% appears to be night flying. Maybe their DC8 operation is a little better organized than when they use us for charters, but what I have seen is a cluster f**k. Departures are usually hours later than scheduled. In fact regardless of scheduled departure time, our crews don't even leave home or the hotel until we have received word that cargo loading has actually started. A scheduled 2 hour turn somewhere like Managua, Nicaragua regularly turns into a 5-9 hour ordeal waiting for cargo to be loaded. However we may fly the same route the very next night and be in and out of there in an hour and a half. It's very unpredictable.

Having said that, they must be doing something right as they have been in business for 20+ years. Sorry I can't provide any information regarding hiring, but if I find anything out I'll post it.

They're starting a class on Sept. 30th but it's already full. Might have another one in January. A day late and a dollar short...Story of my life!:(

AH

I think the real deal is that Fine indeed went and bought Arrow and then went bankrupt after their public offering fell through due to the crash the day of the offering.

A new individual (company) came in and took over and went back to the Arrow name. Dick Haberly returned from Florida West to run the new organization.

Re: AH

Publishers said:
I think the real deal is that Fine indeed went and bought Arrow and then went bankrupt after their public offering fell through due to the crash the day of the offering.

Which crash are you talking about? The one back in 96 or 97 coming out of MIA?

I have a buddy in class at fine air right now, got picked up low time but he may be the exception, he says alot of ex US airways guys are in his class. According to him his class is about 20 people another class behind him of twenty then anybodys guess. Pay is $54 an hour with a 50 hour gaurantee (as a FE). Per diem wasn't bad but I can't remember the exact number. They still have airport reserve that requires you to sit in room by yourself seperated from other fligth crews. Reserve call out for off airport is 3 hours. Their major contract is flying live ordenance to Diego Garcia for the military, with out an alternate. What the hell beats working at home depot right

Don't know who bought who but I can tell you that the new entity is Arrow Air. I just had lunch across from the hanger at MIA today. Ever been to Tom's NFL. Great fried dolphin. Anyway it's Arrow Air. Come see for yourself.

Latest resources

Back