FAA Ramp Checks!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
part 91 ramp checks

Yes they can ramp check part 91 ops. Got ramp checked as a student right after a solo flight. Checked my medical and log book endorsements and sent me on my way. Very cordial. however, the same inspector grounded every a/c at the fbo that day. Mine was grounded after my flight because the Hobbs (definitely non-required equipment...) meter was inop and not placarded as such....

Pilotadjuster,

Required equipment has nothing to do with it. If it's installed, it had better work, or be properly altered in a manner acceptable to the administrator.

From a practical point of view, I've seen some innocuous things wreak havoc on board an aircraft. I've seen installed DC receptacles ("cigarette lighter receptacles") catch aircraft on fire and cause cockpit fires twice. That something is inoperative may only mean it's going to ground some place else (bad grounds account for about 90% of the electrical problems you'll encounter), and this might be all that's required for a fire or other problem. Even little things need to be addressed, and it's not picking nits. In aviation, keeping the cockpit vacumed and free of even dust specs is important, let alone allowing something to occur when the true cause isn't known, and dealt with.

equipment

Avbug--point well taken. I was under the opinion that meter was not on the required VFR or IFR list and therefore not a grounding item, but I definitely get your point. Of course, from my personal point of view, I was much happier paying for time based upon the tach rather than Hobbs...

Unfortunately, all the FBO did was put an "inop" label over the instrument until it was replaced. No check of anything else, as I know the a/c was flying very soon thereafter. Of course I don't rent a/c from that place any more either.

I was never ramp checked flying Part 91. However, flying Part 135, I was ramped 4 times, and flying Part 121, I was ramp checked twice, and had a fed on the jumpseat twice. Basically showed him the license and medical, give him the flight number info, and that was it. Nothing to it... as for "giving" him your license... don't worry.. they'll just write down the info and give them back to ya.

Yeah if you see an someone walking around an aircraft, in a white shirt and with a clipboard, good chance its an FAA person

I have had two, one in Hawaii and one in Duluth MN, both when doing 135.

One the first one, he just asked for my license and medical, sat in the right seat as I taxied to the fuel pumps and back. But he did ground the airplane when one of the fuel guages was sticking.

The second was your average ramp check, looked over my license, medical and aircraft documents.

Both were professional, however I still think it is best to avoid them when you can.

But for the earlier guys, I found it strange that an FAA guy would give you a ramp check while in a lobby, or in a hangar.

As for overreaching inspectors, at the Fargo FSDO, one inspector had filed a violation on another inspector there in 2000 or 99 I think

Even the worst of ramp checks can only result in a bunch of LOA's in your mail box. Unless you happen to be carrying some white stuff then it is a diffrent issue,,, sorry I live in South Florida.

I have to stop getting on this board at night after a trip, let's try LOI's.(letter of investigation)LOA=(letter of authorization)

Got ramped 2 times:

Once under 91 on an overcast fall Chicago day. I had an IFR on File from PWK to YIP and the inspector was in the tower when I landed. Waiting for PAX he strolled on over and told me I better think twice about going to YIP because of forecasted Icing.

I was cordial, and he responded back to me cordially. The pax I was picking up happened to be a lawyer and a pilot friend of mine!

I got myself out of the conversation and let my buddy do the talking for me. He argued that forecasted icing was not the same as known icing and that if we knew where the ice was we would surely avoid that area. At that time an old Sabre 40 was loading pax on Priesters Ramp. Sabre 40s are not approved for known icing (The wings aren't heated).

My buddy politely asked the inspector if he intended on ramp-check the Sabre, since they weren't approved for known icing either. The inspector said no. Then my buddy said "do you think we should cancel this trip today?" I said "yes" I called FSS and cancelled my flight plan.

Never got another call or letter about that deal.

Another Time, under Part 121 I was ramp checked as an F/O. The inspector asked just the Captains papers not mine. He apparently was there watching us the whole time because he was bitching to the Captain about not being appropriately fueled, and all sorts of other stuff that just isn't under our control (121's have fueling and ground service manuals that we never are trained on nor get a chance to even see).

We'll while boarding one of the PAX notices that a CAMLOC was loose and told the Captain. We'll seeing that the FAA Inspector was there, the Capt. wasn't going to touch the airplane. We had to call MX Control to have a contract mechanic come out a tighten a CAMLOC. Cost the company $100 call-out fee, and 45 minutes delay to tighten a CAMLOC! Would have tightened it myself if the Fed wasn't there!

Funny thing is, we check the oil on the aircraft each day on our own. The oil cap is located behind a oil service door that has... you guessed it.... two CAMLOC's to secure the oil filler door. What gives!

throttlejockey

Latest resources

Back