• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FA --> Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There have been many who have done this. The F/A job allows plenty of time off to pursue ratings while not starving to death during your CFI days or during entry level flying positions. Tell this person to live well below their means and not to lose focus of this goal. Also, one word.....network. Plenty of leads from fellow crewmembers 'who have been there'. Best of luck.

Been there...done that!

It took me a lot longer than I hoped, but no complaints overall. Like one mentioned above, I went the military route...in a back, a$$wards way!

I got into an ANG unit, and started UPT. Then I was medically disqualified and returned to being a F/A at a major. Meantime, I remained in the Guard, in a non-flying position, and used Montgomery GI Bill to finish up.

I flew as an instructor, some freight and air ambulance. As a F/A, I had the time off (plus support from a wonderful wife!) and was able to pay the bills. One thing which bears repeating here is live below your means! When I went to my current employer, the pay cut from F/A pay was 50-60%. Fortunately, all my training was paid for and my wife and I (plus two children) had all the "normal" family bills to deal with...no student loans!

Best of luck...fly safe!

BTW, PM me if your friend has specific questions.

Slim

I actually flew with a guy when I was an F/A that was a retired corporate pilot. Flew with another guy that was a retired controller.

At my last regional we had a guy that had become an FA when he got furloughed from his pilot position at a previous company.

RAH has a gal who is now a CA on the 170. She was an FA at my past airline (I gave her her check ride there!) and she went to the Comair school in SFB (Orlando) for her pilot training. She came to RAH and is now, like I said, a CA here! She's awesome and I love her tons!

Latest resources

Back