Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

atpcliff

Hi!

I know an FA who wants to move to the cockpit. I think she would be very good as a pilot.

Anyone have any stories/experiences of FAs who have done this?

I will send them to her/and tell he to join here.

cliff
CLL

we had one recently... went from FA to captain in a CRJ900 in less than 4 years. she's at republic now. Sharp as they come... interviewed at US Air recently... looks like Kyra Knightly as well. unbelievably gorgeous but a good pilot too. great personality... make a grown married man cry.

My sim partner was one. She made the move within the comapny. I had several come from within the company and from other airlines. Most were great and I don't recall a single one below average. (My sim partner upgraded to jet captain as soon as seniority allowed.)

I was an F/A for a little over 11 years before I made the move up front. Most of the time I’m glad I did it. A 60% pay cut and huge loss of quality of life make me have my doubts at times. I’m starting over at my second regional now which has made things a bit difficult at times as well. But I will say life is starting to improve. Hopefully that will continue.

I slowly added ratings over the years only when I had the cash to pay for them. I flight instructed and flew traffic watch part time for about 5 years while I worked as a F/A to build time before finally quitting my F/A job to go to a regional. My schedule as a F/A was actually flexible enough that I could have managed both jobs, but I want to go back to my original company someday and they didn’t want me working for two airlines at the same time.

I have several friends that I was an F/A with as well as others I know from the ramp, CSAs etc, that have made the move as well. Most didn’t take as long as I did though.

It can and is done by lots of flight attendants. I’d be happy to answer any questions you or your friend may have. Just shoot me a PM.

My Reserve unit hired an FA into a pilot position. FA had the bachelors degree, I believe a ppl, and made it through the interview board.

Went to OTS, UPT, heavy school, and flew with us for years; now works as an AF Reserve instructor pilot at a UPT training base. I don't know if she has pursued the airline pilot route.

My Reserve unit hired an FA into a pilot position. FA had the bachelors degree, I believe a ppl, and made it through the interview board.

Went to OTS, UPT, heavy school, and flew with us for years; now works as an AF Reserve instructor pilot at a UPT training base. I don't know if she has pursued the airline pilot route.

That's a good route to go. My roommate from F/A training did something similar. He got into a Guard unit flying C-130s and was flying there while he kept his F/A job. I believe he was up to CFI already with about 500 hours at the time.

Last I heard he was at Cathay Pacific.

Most were great and I don't recall a single one below average....Or, She is gorgeous, and she is a good pilot too

I can see that you were trying to be nice here. But Im always amazed when people say things like that, as if to imply that most of them are bad. These FAs turns pilots that you've mentioned, or girls, are the exceptions. And people get away with saying sheeeit like that! Thats the same thing as saying "I know a few black guys who became pilots, uh you know, they are not half lazy at all!" Yeah, thanks for the compliments!

And wait, before one of you flames away, I have a standard respond to my own post that might fit your attitude: "Why? Someone is being a little over-sensitive?! Is it that time of the month again?"

OK, now flame away.

Last edited:
atpcliff, tell your FA friend to go for it, I've flown with alot of great FAs-turned-pilot.

But please warn your friend about feminazis like Trash8 that make life difficult for everybody, particularly female pilots. A great individual is comfortable in both their career and gender, whatever that might be. The women that try to "outguy" the guys in the professional environment are a nightmare to work with, regardless of the job.

A pity this thread has already broached the topic of gender politics, but it is a reflection of the reality.

I can see that you were trying to be nice here. But Im always amazed when people say things like that, as if to imply that most of them are bad.
First, if you are going to put something in a quote box, don't edit it. Quote me correctly. I didn't say, nor did I intend to any way imply, the second part of your "quote".

By saying there was not a single below average in the group of former FA ---> pilot, I was saying this was an exceptional group of women. In any group, one would expect half to be below average - pick your group or demographic including studly white males. A group that is all average or above (like the children in Lake Woebegone) is exceptional. I'm missing how that can possibly be offensive. Sorry.

Latest resources

Back