• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
maverick_fp00 said:
For instance, do any IPs come from Tyndall and tell you bout the Eagle Training

maverick-

Tyndall would sent some IPs up to brief students on the mission. There was a BUFF here doing the same. Unfortunately, we seldom see the other weapon systems in here talking to studs...but that's due to a combination of money (lack of) or everyone's over in the desert.

Thanks everybody for your responses.

During spring break this year I have to take the AFOQT and the PFT for ROTC at Univ. of West Florida in Pensacola, Fl. The past few months I've been preparing myself for the PFT and I can now pass it with no problem. I've also been studying for the AFOQT with the "Military Flight Aptitude Tests" book and hopefull it helps me out, but time will tell.

Thanks again,
Nick

LGPOSs and the AFOQT

For the AFOQT get the ARCO book from any bookstore. It has some pretty good study guides in it for all the services test. It worked pretty well for me and I don't have a "technical" degree.

As far as your questions on little grays, there were 30 people that started in my UPT class 2 years ago and there were only two guys that didn't want fighters. Of the 10 of us that were in T-38s only 2 wanted f-16s and one of those was so she could be stationed with her boyfriend. The same was true of one of the Eagle guys, too, but we won't talk about him. The rest was a mixture of some type of Eagle and one Hawg. The little grays were usually 3rd on there wish lists. I think your little friend is engaged in some tactical deception so she can get her own fighter. Don't believe the hype!

I've been on both sides of the fighter/heavy arguement and heavies are great in that you get to see a lot of the world, but other than Spec Ops a/c (helos and 130s) the flying is really boring, at least in my humble opinion.

seeya!

lurch

Students and IPs

One of the problems, especially in Tweets, is that there aren't enough fighter pilots knocking sense into these students. Fighter pilots are in demand but they are really needed in the T-37, otherwise you get entire flights run by heavy pilots. (I've seen it its not pretty) No offense to the heavy drivers, but if all you hear is how great the 141/135/C5 is then of course you're going to be excited about it. Unfortunately we don’t have the T-38 track to show these “fence sitters” what life in the fast lane is like. Students are leaving Tweets and going to the T-1 with a question mark over their heads. It’s a shame in my opinion.

The same thing is happening at the Academy. Fighter pilots have been prohibited, in the past, from leaving the cockpit to teach at the Academy because of pilot demand. So all the cadets hear is how great life is as a heavy pilot.

We had one fighter guy in my tweet flight. He was an attached reservist. Our 38 flight was hardly any better. We had no assigned fighter guys and 3-4 attached guys, half reservist, who were fighter guys. FAIPs are by far carrying the load at UPT bases, or Laughlin anyway. Fortunately we had a lot of lean-forward types in the top of our class, the best of which was a E-model retread. So that and several bottles of Jeremiah Weed at the O-club attracted a crowd that provided appropriate mentorship!

ATTACK!!!

Lurch

Hey, Lurch!!
You wouldn't happen to be flying Hogs @ the New Orleans Reserve Unit and keeping company with one of our female ASA first officers would you??

As far as the fighter/heavy airline argument I don't think there's any difference. I've flown in two Guard/Reserve units that were full of airline pilots. The fighter guys obviously don't have as much total time BUT have probably never eaten a box lunch in their aircraft except while crossing the pond and have never logged "other" time, which is time in the aircraft but not at the controls. Read some of the more detailed post by Eagleflip, Albie, and the other fast movers and tell me if you think they'd have any trouble being handed a computer flight plan, plugging it into the FMS, and turning the autopilot on during climbout. Oh, and disengaging the autopilot on descent and landing on a 10,000' runway.

Oh boy, here it is again

You fighter guys are funny. Not right, not wrong; just funny.

Last edited:
Goodfellas!

Slug,

I'm waitin' for CCDiscoB to come out sayin':

From Tommy Devito (Joe Pesci)

"But, I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to amuse you?"

"How am I funny, like a clown? What is so funny about me? What the @*^$%#& is so funny about me? Tell me. Tell me what's funny."

Take care and fly safe :)

SR

Couldn't resist it!!

For those who saw "Slingblade:"

PERFECT "Karl" voice:

"You mean funny queer, not funny ha-ha!!"

Latest resources

Back