• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ever had an engine failure?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rick1128 - I was in a Navajo-B. Portable O2 and a critical engine.

tcoll777 - On the route I was flying, (APA-ABQ) the highest MORA between APA and ALS is 16,400. Throw in occasional IFR, an unusable FL180, and you get FL200 for correct altitude based on course. Even at FL200 you lose radar contact intermittently just south of Alamosa. Besides, weight was never an issue on this leg.
BTW... whoever told you that you get better fuel burn down low must have always been flying west in the winter time. I averaged 10-15 gallons less fuel burn at FL200 than VFR on top at 14,500. True airspeed, ain't it grand!

Keep 'em turning, folks!
SK:cool:

I flew piston Convairs for 8000 plus hours & had 7 engine in flight shutdowns--mostly for bad cylinders. Never lost one on take off after V1. I did lose one going thru 80 knots but kept it on the runway. ( DAY rw 6R). No. 2 engine threw a master rod & did over $20000 of structual damage before we got it shut down. This engine ( P&W R 2800) continued running on the row of cylinders that still had a good master rod. I'm glad it happened on the runway--I'm sure we would have literally "lost" this engine.

Have had a couple of failures after V1. Lost two engines on a DC6 out of MIA. Loaded to gross, lost number 2 just before V2 and lost number 4 about the time the wheels hit the wells. And that is as high as we got all the way around the traffic pattern. One engine lost two cylinders and the other was an oil pump failure.

The other was a Lear 25 out of MDW. FODed an engine just after liftoff. Used normal numbers and stilled climbed at 2500 FPM at gross. Airport closed right after we left so we continued to SPI. Climbed to FL180 and still maintained 350 kts at reduced power. The failed engine still ran at 65% RPM. No power but it was still running a generator and Hyd pump. When we inspected the engine every blade aft of the first stage was either flat or gone. I guess the engine wasn't made by GE, it was really made by Timex.

Rick1128 said:
Have had a couple of failures after V1. Lost two engines on a DC6 out of MIA. Loaded to gross, lost number 2 just before V2 and lost number 4 about the time the wheels hit the wells. And that is as high as we got all the way around the traffic pattern. One engine lost two cylinders and the other was an oil pump failure.

Now THAT'S what I call a "Bad Day"... Two engines within seconds of each other for non-related items... Time for a new maintenance department!

Actually the maintenance department was really quite good. R-2800s at that time were starting to get quite old and parts were getting harder to find. It was the luck of the draw. From what the old timers told me, having two engines fail was not unknown. I was fortunate that it wasn't two on the same side. Now that would have really been a bad day.

I've had two, both in PA-23 Apaches. One during my MEL training. (Broken Mixture cable) And another many years later right at rotation at a hot, high little runway. (carb) Thankfully, just enough runway left to stop. A few seconds later, it would have been REAL interesting in the twin cub.

My Dad told me they seemed to have a precautionary shut-down a week on the DC-7, but the R-2800s in the -6s and Convairs would run fine with one cylinder head gone. He also had to shut down an engine on a Civilian C-130 during a 3-engine ferry. Yes, THAT engine. Said it was no problem at all empty, could have flown a holding pattern into the two good engines.....

35 engine shutdowns. Most of them precautionary shutdowns, of course. 3 of them were failures between v1 and v2. A few more were failuses in cruise.

Latest resources

Back