• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ibaflyer said:
night time, IFR, icing with my co-pilot on fire

LOL.

Can I count the time when my student meant to check the carb heat during the runup and pulled the big red knob instead? The really sad part was that this chain of events had him task saturated. Couldn't figure out why the "carb heat" had killed the engine. I 'bout fell out of the airplane laughing. Same dude who would hop out of the aircraft with his headset still on and plugged in, etc. This guy later went on to bend an airplane during landing, it should have been a sign...

I think my father has had a grand total of one real engin failure in 30 years, bringing the power up initially for takeoff and the CFM56 just went kaput, simply taxied back to the gate.

I had one a few years ago in an ATR. It started acting up around 4000 ft. Wouldn't have been that big of a deal but before it went it sent us a lot of mixed signals and filled the cockpit and cabin with smoke. And of course I had to be doing IOE with a new hire on a crappy weather day. That cigarrette tasted mighty good when I got on the ground!:D

Nothing gets your attention more than a fire warning inflight. Some years back, I was in an F-4 over the North Atlantic in the dead of night (like it makes a difference) when the hanger queen I was in had a #2 fire light illuminate.

Fortunatley, this p.o.s. I was flying had a known history of bogus fire warnings and the fix was to roll inverted and/or jink and it would go out. Of course, it helped to have a wingman get underneath and keep an eye out for any abnormal "issues".

That airplane was always a jinx and we named it, unoffcially, "Christine" from the Stephen King novel

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back