Votes: 103 43.5%
  • Yes, but somewhat average

Votes: 78 32.9%
  • No, it compares well with others I have used

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • No, it is the best I've used

Votes: 8 3.4%

• Total voters
FYI you better be working both tilt and range in most mainline a/c too, less you run into a supprise.

FYI you better be working both tilt and range in most mainline a/c too, less you run into a supprise.
It's depressing to read comments about how "boring" it is to learn all you can about the the idiosyncrasies of airborne radar.

Do a little reading on zero tilt angle - once you understand how to compute that, the radar in the ERJ works quite well unless you find yourself embedded in heavy rain.

RR

... the radar in the ERJ works quite well unless you find yourself embedded in heavy rain.

RR

It works well when in heavy rain, too, if you know what you are looking for.

It works well when in heavy rain, too, if you know what you are looking for.

Yes, if you know what you're looking for, you'll be amazed at what you can't see! Especially with a dinky antenna and the power output of a cell phone.

In heavy rain you look for what you can't see and stay away from it when you find it. It works quite well.

As I was walking down the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today.
I wish, I wish he'd go away.

Last edited:
sinkrate;2231717And if one more FO asks me to teach him radar in one flight I'll puke. It amazes how many pilots don't know the difference between convective weather and rain. [URL said:
http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/13324[/URL]

Part of your job as the captain my friend. It's monotonous and silly that a CA should have to be a flight instructor but that's the reality and beauty of whizkid academy programs and accelerated training. Next time you want to puke, just think that the lesson you give the FO may one day save many lives when he is in your seat and knows what he is doing because you were there to show him. So far as being amazed at things people don't know...you just got inducted into the "crusty old captain club"....welcome aboard!

Part of your job as the captain my friend. It's monotonous and silly that a CA should have to be a flight instructor but that's the reality and beauty of whizkid academy programs and accelerated training. Next time you want to puke, just think that the lesson you give the FO may one day save many lives when he is in your seat and knows what he is doing because you were there to show him. So far as being amazed at things people don't know...you just got inducted into the "crusty old captain club"....welcome aboard!

I think his point was that it takes more then one flight to teach radar. But otherwise, spot on!

I think his point was that it takes more then one flight to teach radar. But otherwise, spot on!

All though that is true my point was if you don't know anything about convective weather systems the radar will be useless to you. And if it is impossible to teach radar use in a week it is even more impossible to teach weather in a week.

As far as Captian crusty goes the pilots I work with will tell you I joined that club several decades ago.

As far as teaching goes I've been doing that for several decades too. And the pilots I work with will tell you I'm very good at it.

What I will say about the new hires and CA upgrades I see today is generally they are the least prepared and least self motivated I have ever worked with. They are rarely familiar with such basics as at the AIM, much less any of the other outstanding official resources available on the web. They don't apply themselves. They typically want to be spoon fed on Company time with the smallest spoon available. If that is all they are going to put into it - they better not expect much from me. Now for the few I see that do apply themselves - they are more challenging than I've seen in many years because they use those resources. I really have to work to stay ahead of them and that's good.

Soooo - if you aren't familiar with Avaition Weather, Aviation Weather Services, the ADDS website and its tutorials, don't ask me to teach you radar in one flight. After I puke I'm going to be very quiet the rest of the day. Get over it.

What I will say about the new hires and CA upgrades I see today is generally they are the least prepared and least self motivated I have ever worked with. They are rarely familiar with such basics as at the AIM, much less any of the other outstanding official resources available on the web. They don't apply themselves. They typically want to be spoon fed on Company time with the smallest spoon available. If that is all they are going to put into it - they better not expect much from me. Now for the few I see that do apply themselves - they are more challenging than I've seen in many years because they use those resources. I really have to work to stay ahead of them and that's good.

Soooo - if you aren't familiar with Avaition Weather, Aviation Weather Services, the ADDS website and its tutorials, don't ask me to teach you radar in one flight. After I puke I'm going to be very quiet the rest of the day. Get over it.

I generally agree with the above observation. The fact that there are guys 2,3,4 years in who have no idea where to find weather data or how to interpret it reflects the low level of what we as captains have been bringing to the cockpit.

The WX packet the company gives us aside from TAFs and Metars is largely useless as it has no maps, radar, satellite, convective maps. To not familiarize yourself with other sources is a disservice to all aboard the AC.

Latest resources

Back