Votes: 103 43.5%
  • Yes, but somewhat average

Votes: 78 32.9%
  • No, it compares well with others I have used

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • No, it is the best I've used

Votes: 8 3.4%

• Total voters
I've used some pretty crappy radar in the past but I've seen more problems with people who have no idea of how to use radar (it's not just like the weather channel you know). On board radar is no more reliable than the operator.

DoinTime said:
I've used some pretty crappy radar in the past but I've seen more problems with people who have no idea of how to use radar (it's not just like the weather channel you know). On board radar is no more reliable than the operator.

I couldnt agree more. Nothing like flying with someone who sets the gain so high you are painting wet gnat f@rts.

The radar on the ERJ is stronger than most on the market. It however has a small dish so its viewing capablilties must be used carefully. If used properly this Radar is very useful. The problem is that many simply do not use it correctly.

Try setting the gain at 50%... Use a 100 mile scan and about 1 degree up (these settings are at cruise altitudes above FL280. using this setting or (adjust so you get just basic ground returns right at the 50mi. ring) you will then be able to pick out returns with ease.

Hope this helps

DoinTime said:

WORD. This post needs to be printed and handed to EVERY WHINER!!

It all depends on how you use it. I flew with a Captain named Zach who was the best in the world at using the Embraer radar. This guy could tell within seconds how long it would take for the rain to stop (even in EXTREMELY heavy, super attenuating rain). I learned more from flying with him in three days than in two years previous. He was/is a master.

Needless to say, I am very confident in the EMB radar, even though it could use some improvement.

As long as we're talking about the EMB...whats that pod looking thingy on the bottom of the XR? Missle defence? Super powered relief tube? Chemtrail dispenser?

Best,
Nu

NuGuy said:
As long as we're talking about the EMB...whats that pod looking thingy on the bottom of the XR? Missle defence? Super powered relief tube? Chemtrail dispenser?

Best,
Nu

all of the above!

actually, it's 'protection' for the center fuel tank, in case one gear-ups it.

They have radar. heck ive been driving the thing for 2.5 years and never saw a thing about radar, I just figured it wasnt installed on our A/Cs.

Pre Take off briefing on the Emb 145.

Flaps........set

Tail............still on for now..

Latest resources

Back