• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ERAU Graduate Degrees

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What are your reasons for pursuing a grad degree? I have considered it myself but I doubt it would help in any way as a pilot.

I received a Masters in Aviation Safety from ERAU. I had many reasons for pursuing the degree.

For me,it was a personal challenge. A very small percentage of people have a Masters degree and I wanted to push myself to see if I could complete the program, and do well at the same time.

I also wanted something to fall back on. A degree in aviation safety gives me the added education to stay in aviation should I lose my medical. My focus was on accident investigation, so I would hopefully be able to join an airline or large corporate safety department.

The online program is challenging. You have to be a self motivator and have the ability to research well. Unlike the main campus where you have a Librarian to assist, you need to be able to do it all on your own, or at the least, with little help from the professor.

You did not mention how much it costs,or how long it takes?

In my original post I mentioned how long it takes and the cost is available from ERAU per credit hour. Upwards of 12K for the whole program, ballpark.

My reasons are similar to Chprplt's - personal growth, gaining an edge, and something to fall back on. I'm in my early 30's with a family, a good job, and 30+ years of aviating ahead of me. I'm sure at some point during this tenure I'll have an opportunity to take on additional responsibilities, ie chief pilot or the like, and a graduate degree in management can only help me qualify for and execute that position. I am fortunate that my employer values continuing education so I should qualify, and I'll find out for sure before I send any money, for tuition reimbursement making my out of pocket expenses minimal as long as I get a B or better in each class.

I realize that an on-line MS degree from Riddle is not equivalent to an MBA from Yale but I figure it's better than what 90% of my peers have to offer and I would like to be able to apply my BS in Aviation degree plus ten years of experience to my studies. Also, the MBA programs tended to focus more on finance & accounting while I prefer to focus on operations & strategy.

Thanks for everyone's input, it's greatly appreciated!!!!:)

Well, its not for everyone.

I am considering this as well, hoping the company will pick up all or part of it.

Have you looked into your state school's online MBA programs? Not a knock at Riddle because I went there, but state programs are cheaper and not so industry specific. If the unthinkable happens (ie medical loss), your career options reach well beyond aviation.

Arts eh??? I have a Bachelor of SCIENCE (BS) and I studied all three.:confused: Must have been in the "general education" portion of the curriculum. As time goes by I find that all three have been invaluable assets in my pursuit of being smarter, richer, and better looking than everyone else.:p

Sydeseet;

I can give you a perspective from both sides. I received my Masters from ERAU in 1998 the traditional way, attending classes at night. It took me 7 years part time and was a very rewarding experiance. I thought the quality of the classes were overall outstanding.

Fast forward to 2006 with the internet explosion. I decided to pursue an ISD Certificate so I am taking 5 classes online. I would say the classes are generally the same. Some better that others, but isn't that the same everywhere?

The major difference is you HAVE to be somewhat disiplined to complete your work. It can be VERY easy to get behind. I do feel there is no subsitite for the real time interaction in a classroom and I miss that the most. That said, online classes can be the difference between getting a Masters or not. Certainly a great use of time when you are on an overnight or in the crashpad. The cost is about $1,200 per class including the books & DVDs.

If you have the interest, do it. You will enjoy it.

Good luck.

Did you guys take the GMAT or does ERAU have an alternative? If you took the GMAT, what did you do to prepare for it?

ERAU didn't require a GMAT or other aptitude test for the distance learning stuff. Just previous college transcripts.

As far as what degree/program to pursue, that's all up to you and what you might want to do with it. I chose the MS in Management because it wasn't an MBA (almost everybody has one these days). Also, I wanted something that I could back up with professional experience (management IS my job in the Navy). What I like about the ERAU degree is that it has an aviation approach (which helps my brain stay engaged), but on paper it looks just like any other MS in Management degree. So when all is said and done, I would say that it gives you more options, particularly if you are not trying to pursue a degree for a specific career path.

Latest resources

Back