• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Embry-Riddle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All I can say definitively is that if you don't have any interests outside of aviation, you're going to be a miserable adult pilot no matter where you went to school

For my money, the liberal arts degree I received was worth more than an Aviation Science degree. Not because it makes me any more or less employable, but because it gave me the opportunity to study things that are IMHO a lot more important than airplanes, cool as they are.

I wasn't talking to you ****. I was talking with the know-it-all who debased everyone studying aviation in college.

You have no idea what my degree involved, and you don't have the foggiest f****** idea what combat feels like or how combat flying is logged. I'm not about to waste my time explaining it to your lilly-white a******* either. I wasn't asking for your damned admiration for my combat service; I was simply explaining to the poster that the younger guys affected by Age 60 aren't exactly a bunch of inexperienced, smart a****** kids, as he put it. However, even though I wasn't addressing you in my post, you felt compelled to jump on and devalue a combat veteran's service and sacrifice...that's real f******* cute tool. I'll bet you're a real crowd pleaser on Memorial Day.
Well how about that? Our little hero is an intellectual, too. Who'd have guessed. Did you learn all that in school? Or on the hardened battlefield of your nice, clean, air conditioned cockpit as you flew to and from "combat?"

You're just a poster child for riddle rats, aren't you?

As for age 65...deal with it. This little bit of legislation is a good thing, and has been a long time coming...coming back.

You neither went to college, nor risked your life for your country, yet you feel qualified to spit on my education and military service.

That's not exactly true, my boy. However, need not spout one's resume to make the point, nor is it necessary to throw a ticker tape parade in one's own honor. We've got you to do that, after all. You can try again when you wake up from your nap.

You sleep tight and dream all about that breadth of experience you got at riddle. Then when you've had your nap, come back and tell us all about it.

Last edited:
Well how about that? Our little hero is an intellectual, too. Who'd have guessed. Did you learn all that in school? Or on the hardened battlefield of your nice, clean, air conditioned cockpit as you flew to and from "combat?"

You're just a poster child for riddle rats, aren't you?

As for age 65...deal with it. This little bit of legislation is a good thing, and has been a long time coming...coming back.

Dude, 6198 posts on FI?

You seriously need to get a life.

Better yet, turn off your computer and enroll in some college classes. Get an education. Cherish the freedom that some of us step up to the plate to guarantee for you. You obviously don't know how much sacrifice or risk is required toward that task, judging from your foregoing sophomoric and inaccurate remarks.

You're a pathetic, bitter little man.

I'm done with you. It's Friday night, and I'm going out of town with my girlfriend all weekend.

Meanwhile, you'll be glued to this ridiculous website, wasting even more of your misguided life, banging out your 6199th post, trying to get a large computer audience to listen to you, because in the real world, no one obviously does.

Out.

Dude? Dude? Couldn't your riddle education buy you better than that? Please, you're an officer and a...well, apparently an officer and a dude.

It's Friday night, and I'm going out of town with my girlfriend all weekend.

Ah, mercy date. While you may have fallen flat on intellect, at least charity is still alive and well.

It's afternoon, incidentally. Not night. You could be forgiven for the mistake, having just arisn from your nap, of course.

So far as being online...YOU'RE here...throwing a little tantrum. Kettle, meet the pot. And yes, you're black. At least now you know.

Highsky: You really are a piece of work and a disgrace to ERAU, that is certain. You can not even make a reasonable post without profanity. (Ref: your post #30.) Is that not a disgrace to ERAU, and to the USAF? Aren't you an officer? Yet your language is that of a vulgar uneducated person. That does qualify you as a disgrace and an embarrassment, does it not? What do you think the Director of the ERAU Aviation program would say if he saw the type of language you use, or how about your CO? What would he say?

My posts have never said I was a Vietnam veteran or that I had served in Vietnam. In fact, I have on several opportunities posted that I did everything I could to avoid going to Vietnam, just as our last two presidents did, and most everyone else who might get drafted to be shipped off to Vietnam. Those that served in Vietnam have been betrayed over an over by this country, i.e., Kerry and Gore, to say nothing of the age 60 pilots that have been discriminated against on the age-60 issue by those like you from the "get out of my seat" crowd. That has been your way of saluting those veterans; by forcing them to lose their jobs so guys like you could take them. That's real respect for those veterans. You are a disgrace as an officer with your attitude. I'm really surprised you haven't been discovered.

And regarding your example of the ERAU graduates doing better in pilot training than the others with the real degrees: That would be expected since your group mostly all had a significant amount of prior flight training. Your group had a very large head start. I would only guess that you needed that extra help, because without it you would have probably washed out, especially on account of your attitude and foul mouth.

So have you changed even one person's opinion in a positive way about their plans to attend ERAU? NO YOU HAVEN'T. Your post has been a total failure that has only caused others to stay away for ERAU. No one wants to attend a school if they think it’s full of people like you. So your post has been a failure, which is certainly true.

Please give the airlines a break and make the military a career if they will keep you.

Oh yes, while you have so confidently posted that I had leaned to fly at an FBO, the fact is that I learned to fly in a University flight program. And for your information, I know all about such programs. I did have my son learn to fly at an FBO before college. He was light years ahead of other students and worked for 4-years as a CFI while in school. I know from experience that there is no reason to learn to fly in a university program if you can complete flight training while in high school.

Just for the record, I recommend an aviaton degree for those who understand it's limitations. It is an easy way to get a fast 4-year degree; and it's certainly an enjoyable degree program. If that's a young person goal, then go for it. It will work and it will get that airline job. And it will qualify for a military pilot slot, if that person only has enough education to get through OTS.

One final point regarding ERAU. Aren't the admission requirements for the fligh program: A warm body and a big check for about $250,000? Take my word on this, there are many other schools for flight training and college that are half as expensive and just as good or better.

Last edited:
I read the bios of the Blue Angels team once many years ago, and remember seeing a few degrees that I wasn't expecting. Degrees such as agriculture, forestry and such from less than ivy league schools, so to speak. Somehow those folks did all right(an understatement if there ever were one) without mighty ERAU.

There are only about fifty thousand ways to go about it, just a random sampling of any airlines pilots will show that. Well some airlines more than others, but my point is basically the same.

Another invaluable aid is a mentor, someone who knows that airlines look for specific things, and passes that on. A good mentor can in and of itself literally substitute for an ERAU type education in my opinion. In fact I believe that no college can come close to providing what the right mentor can.

Last edited:
Vetrider is right on. Listen to his man. He would make a top-notch mentor.

Highsky, on the other hand, is hot-head and a proven failure as documented in post #35. He wasted his education by repeating his aviation education in the USAF. He should have been first in his class but he was down the list, while others with no prior training probably finished ahead of him, such as the types of pilots who make the Thunderbirds and Blue Angles. As Vetrider sez, many of those pilots have degrees in agriculture & forestery. It certainly doesn't hurt to attend ERAU but it's just not necessary. Any other aviation school where you learn to fly is just as good. The only problem with ERAU is that they have people with attitudes like Highsky. Strangely, I have seen this before from that school. What is it about ERAU that attracts such types? Can anyone answer this?

If you want to do well in military training it is a sort of insurance policy against washing out to have prior training to include at least a private pilot certificate with an instrument rating and a 20-hour acrobatic course in a Pitts or better yet, a Super Decathlon, to learn real airmanship. Aerobatics, other than a spin or two, is something that isn't even taught at ERAU. Students at the Daytona campus can join a sport aviation club to learn some acro in a Pitts, and I applaud them for this, but only about 1% of the flight students take advantage of this opportunity. Personally, I think the ERAU instructors (as well as most CFI's) are afraid of acrobatics because they have no such training themselves. Because acrobatics are an unknown to the instructors, they discourage the students from learning acro with telling BS stories of the danger of such training, including tailwheel training.

So does a student who wants to be a professional pilot, civilian or military, need ERAU? Certainly not. Any flight training anywhere, college or FBO, plus a 4-year degree from any school in any major is fine. Aviation degrees are the path of least resistance if you want that path. It’s your choice. And why not if you’re positive certain that all you will ever want is to fly? That is OK in my view. And if I were to recommend a selected aviation major, I would recommend one that included training for an A&P license. A pilot candidate who graduates college with a Commercial, CFI and an A&P is a total airman, prepared for a career in aviation. Just don't drop out of the profession later and decide to do a career change.

or how about your CO? What would he say?

He has been one of my closest friends. I'll be sure to let him know that you're disappointed.

I did everything I could to avoid going to Vietnam, just as our last two presidents did, and most everyone else who might get drafted to be shipped off to Vietnam. Those that served in Vietnam have been betrayed over an over by this country
The Vietnam vets who sacrificed for their country were betrayed by guys like you who spoke out against the war, encouraging the enemy, and hiding when your country needed you.

the age 60 pilots that have been discriminated against on the age-60 issue by those like you from the "get out of my seat" crowd.
The same crowd you were in until you became a senior captain.

Hypocrite.

That has been your way of saluting those veterans; by forcing them to lose their jobs so guys like you could take them. That's real respect for those veterans.

I'm a combat veteran too. Does that mean when I'm a 64 year old 747 captain, all the junior pilots are required to forego their own career advancement to "salute" me by supporting Age 70 legislation?

You are a disgrace as an officer with your attitude. I'm really surprised you haven't been discovered.

A draft dodger lecturing a U.S. field grade officer and 5 year combat veteran on officership...

Your arrogance knows no bounds.

And regarding your example of the ERAU graduates doing better in pilot training than the others with the real degrees: That would be expected since your group mostly all had a significant amount of prior flight training. Your group had a very large head start. I would only guess that you needed that extra help, because without it you would have probably washed out, especially on account of your attitude and foul mouth.

I never would have guessed that a 60 year old retired airline captain could say something so juvenile.

Let me guess...your dad can beat up my dad too, right?

So have you changed even one person's opinion in a positive way about their plans to attend ERAU? NO YOU HAVEN'T. Your post has been a total failure that has only caused others to stay away for ERAU.

I see you're an expert on what everyone thinks. You and my ex-wife would get along well.

More importantly, I'm not trying to sell ERAU to anyone. If someone asks the question, I'll answer. It's a good school, but I couldn't care less what anyone else chooses.

But when I read ignorant posts like yours that spew inaccurate nonsense about the school or the benefits and value of its program, I have to step in a set the record straight. I'm not criticizing your school or life's choices; why are you trying to devalue mine?

Please give the airlines a break and make the military a career if they will keep you.

Sorry to disappoint you Old Man. Like I said, I'm already at a large U.S. cargo airline. You know...the one where everyone wants to work.

Oh yes, while you have so confidently posted that I had leaned to fly at an FBO, the fact is that I learned to fly in a University flight program.

go to an Aviation college after leaning to fly elsewhere and study whatever you want but not necessarily aviation. Go to the aviation college/university so you can work in your profession as a CFI at that school, with all the benefits of leadership, experience in aviation, networking, flying teams, student aviation organizations and women.

Personally, that's what I did.

You were saying...?

Just for the record, I recommend an aviaton degree for those who understand it's limitations. It is an easy way to get a fast 4-year degree

Only someone without an aviation degree would say something so stupid. You look like a fool when you pipe off about things about which you know nothing.

Empty drums beat the loudest.

And it will qualify for a military pilot slot

An aviation degree does not in itself guarantee a military pilot slot. MUCH more is considered for this very competitive privilege. Then again, I wouldn't expect a draft dodger to know about such things.

if that person only has enough education to get through OTS.

That's cute. So now you're marginalizing those with an aviation degree as barely having the education required to get through OTS, and not being capable of much else.

You're pathetic.

One final point regarding ERAU. Aren't the admission requirements for the fligh program: A warm body and a big check for about $250,000?

Why do you waste people's time with mistatements like that?

I'm guessing you bullied people for sport in junior high. Those types never grow out of it. Now you're trying in vain to develop a pilot clique exclusive of schools and degree programs you've deemed unworthy.

You're a disgrace. Re-enroll in junior high Pops.

He wasted his education by repeating his aviation education in the USAF. He should have been first in his class but he was down the list, while others with no prior training probably finished ahead of him

Perfect example of my foregoing point.

How do you know how I did?

Since you brought it up...

--Valedictorian, ERAU, B.S. Aeronautical Science
--1994 U.S. Navy #1 selection worldwide for OCS/active duty flying slot
--1994 U.S. Air Force Reserve #1 selection worldwide for OTS/Reserve flying slot
--1996 (lowest pilot production year in history of USAF; i.e. most competitive) USAF Undergraduate Pilot Training class rank #1
--Class rank #1 in all USAF follow on flight training
--Hired at NWA early with ZERO multiengine PIC
--Currently flying with a large U.S. cargo airline that hires just 1 out of 200 applicants

Nah...that silly aviation degree didn't help me out much, did it.

Like you said, the military and airlines don't care about ERAU or aviation degrees. Pssst...you forgot to tell them that.

If you want to do well in military training it is a sort of insurance policy against washing out to have prior training to include at least a private pilot certificate with an instrument rating and a 20-hour acrobatic course in a Pitts or better yet, a Super Decathlon, to learn real airmanship.

FYI...Unless an incoming student has 1200 hours or more of previous flying, USAF UPT instructors can't distinguish him from a zero time guy. UPT is unlike any civilian training. I've seen plenty of Commercial pilots wash out of UPT. I even knew one with an ATP.

I agree with you that getting some preliminary aerobatic training is a smart move.

Personally, I think the ERAU instructors (as well as most CFI's) are afraid of acrobatics because they have no such training themselves. Because acrobatics are an unknown to the instructors, they discourage the students from learning acro with telling BS stories of the danger of such training

Huh??? Another over-reaching, inaccurate statement. I've known MANY more ERAU instructors than you sir. What qualifes you to make such an assertion?

So does a student who wants to be a professional pilot, civilian or military, need ERAU? Certainly not. Any flight training anywhere, college or FBO, plus a 4-year degree from any school in any major is fine.

Agreed; however, it no doubt advanced my career, and many others.

Aviation degrees are the path of least resistance if you want that path.

Again with the nonsense, spoken from someone without an aviation degree.

How do you expect anyone to take your advice seriously when you come across as such an arrogant, self-righteous know-it-all?

Last edited:
Quote: "How do you expect anyone to take your advice seriously when you come across as such an arrogant, self-righteous know-it-all?"

The pot calling the kettle what?

Incomming............

The previous post by JAFI regarding HIGHSKY's post is "Best of the Year!" Thank you, someone has to tell him.

Great career but I notice the part about your ex-wife. How many were there? Next, how many will there be? More to come I would expect. I hope you are able to prevent these personal problems, but it's your attitude that seems to be the problem: It's only about you. Anyone can see why you were a failure in that relationship. Does that tell you anything? I and others must dispute your high opinion of yourself and we've never even met you.

Highsky:
I agree with you that getting some preliminary aerobatic training is a smart move
At least we agree on one thing.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back