• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Embry-Riddle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't forget Embry Riddle is full of Dudes..............= why pay out your ace to go to a sausage fest!!!

Regardless of what school you goto...it's always gonna be an "Ego-Fest" with pilots...

Question: How do you pick out the pilot at a party ?

Answer: Don't worry, they'll let you know...

That's one of the stupidest things people say on these boards. "Study something other than aviation". Why would you ever go to college to study something you're not interested in? You don't see accountants majoring in music; you don't see journalists majoring in biology. Studying something "just in case" the rare occasion occurs that you lose your medical is dumb.
If you received you bachelor's more than 5 years ago, new employers don't usually consider the major anyhow because you've already forgotten most of what you learned.
Most jobs that require a bachelor's degree don't care what you get it in. The only jobs which require specific degrees usually require additional education/certification (accountant, lawyer, doctor).

you don't see accountants majoring in music because they need a degree in accounting to do their job you freakin moron. journalists major in journalism becuase it actually makes them better writers. it is retarded to get a degree in aviation because this job DOES NOT REQUIRE A DEGREE IN AVIATION . and if this job absolutely 100% does not require a specific aviation degree why would you waste your time and money going to college to get one. if you are actually going to go to college why not get a degree in one of your other interests to make yourself a more valuable commodity to another employer when you decide to get out of aviation after being furloughed for the third time. or are you that boring a person that your only interest in life is aviation. if thats true i feel truely bad for the people that have to fly with you.

I got an Aeronautical Science degree from ERAU Daytona in late 80s/early 90s. I went to Prescott for the first couple of years...Daytona is better.

Although I did a little training at a local FBO, most of my flight training was with ERAU instructors at ERAU. I have been a CFI at some FBOs, and was a CFI with ERAU for a couple of years after graduating.

Later, I went through USAF UPT (T-3, T-37, and T-38), then flew C-5s for 11 years. Now I work for an enormous U.S. cargo airline.

The FLIGHT training I received in the USAF far exceeds anything available to civilians. Why? Multimillion dollar jets, discipline, sink-or-swim (no extra training for the weak/no second chances), diversity of training (instruments, aerobatics, formation, low-level, combat training), standardization, and did I mention discipline? UPT costs about $5 million. There's no way any civilian program could compete with that.

That said, the flight training program at ERAU is the closest thing to the military available to civilians, in my opinion (I assume other strong aviation schools like UND are similar). For starters, the program was largely developed by retired military pilots. It's very well standardized with a lot of discipline. It ties in well with all the academics. Most of the CFIs have an aviation degree from ERAU. I've never seen that kind of quality at an FBO. I haven't seen all FBOs, but I've seen many. If I'm a pilot interviewer with a great airline, I'm definitely going to hire the guy with military flight training or a civilian aviation degree from a strong aviation school. I know what I'm getting. Why would I take a chance on hiring some guy who learned how to fly at Chuck's Flying School of the Ozarks? I have no idea how good his training was, or what kind of pilot he'd be. I'm not going to put some unknown in the front seat of our $150 million dollar jets. Are there any fools or tools coming out of ERAU or the military? Of course, but they're few and far between.

Moreover, the aviation ACADEMIC training I received at ERAU far and away exceeded anything I learned in the Air Force. It has been very helpful to my career, both in job interviews, and in the daily performance of my job. Does an aviation degree make me a better pilot than another pilot with a business degree? Who knows. But it does make me a better pilot than myself, had I not gotten an aviation degree. Who do you think makes a better CEO of Exxon...the guy with an art degree, or the guy with a geology degree, finance degree, or MBA? When your life is at stake and you require the best medical attention, do you want the doctor with an undergrad in air conditioning repair from ITT, or the guy with an undergrad in biochemistry from Stanford? I know who I'd want.

I agree with a previous poster; it's stupid to get a degree in something you're not going to do with your career. College isn't a square filler; it's preparation for what you're going to do with the rest of your life.

I don't know why SOME bash ERAU. I can tell you though that those people are not on the hiring boards in the military, or in the HR departments at major airlines, because those people have respect for ERAU. In 20 years of professional post-college aviation, valedictorian from ERAU has opened many doors for me. I wouldn't be where I am today without it.

It's a great education. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited:
Any College,

If a person can afford college, any college, go to that school and get an education first. Does this mean I am against ERAU...no. I am promoting education to broaden ones perspective. Desire, with a degree, is all the platform a motivated person needs.

My backround is enlisted Army, BA History , local flight schools and a whole lot of desire. I currently have the pleasure of flying with military,civil, as well as, aviation degreed backrounds. To a "T" all exhibit the one quality that starts from within "professionalism"...this trait tends to derive from a drive to succeeded.

Remeber folks a door is only closed if you don't turn the door knob.

Happy Studies.

Any College,

If a person can afford college, any college, go to that school and get an education first.

I really don't agree with this. More correctly it's go to an Aviation college after leaning to fly elsewhere and study whatever you want but not necessarily aviation. Go to the aviation college/university so you can work in your profession as a CFI at that school, with all the benefits of leadership, experience in aviation, networking, flying teams, student aviation organizations and women.

Personally, that's what I did. I got it all while in college. I'm still married to the same woman. She said she was attracted to me because she liked guys that fly airplanes. So it worked for me and it can for you too if that's what you want.

Last edited:
Undaunted,

I guess what I am promoting is higher education.

What I wanted to convey is that there are many options and paths to a successful aviation career.

Have A Happy,

Infoman

Undaunted,

I guess what I am promoting is higher education.

What I wanted to convey is that there are many options and paths to a successful aviation career.

Have A Happy,

Infoman
Certainly I agree with you. If a person had an opportunity to attend Harvard, Stanford or Princeton then go there and worry about flying later, but my message is that if a person wants to study engineering and a state school like Purdue has an engineering program and a flight program, go there rather than some other engineering school that has no flight program. It’s best to keep in aviation while in college if at all possible but that's not to say that a person should necessarily study aviation. That’s because its just not necessary.

But in reality if a student wants to be a pilot, they most often just take the flight program because it's easy and a fast way to graduate. Young people are like electricity, they both look for the path of least resistance.

Latest resources

Back