• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Embraer Headset

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
1) Buy some custom molded ear plugs from an audiologist. They're comfortable enough that you won't even feel them and cheaper than a new headset.

2) Make sure the observer's hot mike is off. If that thing is on it makes things much much louder especially if the headset is plugged into it and hanging up on the clip. It picks up all the wind noise.

did anyone else have their headset sent to them without any information? Can you get custom ear molds made for this head set? Also, I am still trying to get the other foam pieces to fit. Anyone figure out the trick to this? I do agree that the rubber pieces are useless.

With the Mach 1 can you turn off the automatic muting function? I usually turn it down enough to hear both the controller and ipod and dont want it cutting on and off on busy enroute frequencies.

Alin10123 said:
Any updates freight jock?

I returned my set to marvgolden.com. The set was great, but I wasn't satisfied with the ear pieces. The blue plugs didn't work in my ears and the foamies didn't seal well because I couldn't push them in far enough. I would re-order the set if I could get custom made ear molds.

NEW INFORMATION:

I just spoke to a lady at Lightspeed. She informed me that there are custom ear molds available for the Mach 1. They are made by a company called "Sensaphonics". Go to lightspeedaviation.com or call Jan (sales) at (800) 332-2421. They are a bit pricey ($120 per set), but the headset will make it worth the cost.

Last edited:
Well in my ever continuing quest to find the ultimate ERJ headset solution I decided to buy the Lightspeed Mach 1 headset.

In the past I have used the company supplied David Clarks, my Lightspeed 20XL ANR headset, and the Telex 5x5 with custom ear molds. I decided to drag my Telex, 20XL, and the Mach 1 on a long flight to compare. The best noise cancelling for me came from my Lightspeed ANR headset, the Telex 5x5 and Mach 1 were about the same. I would say the Mach 1 was slightly better and you don't have the earseal issue with a heaving mic boom like the Telex.

The Mach 1 does have an adjustable mic gain. The background noise from the Mach 1 and Telex 5x5 were about the same. On either headset you can make the appropriate adjustment to reduce the background noise.

The bottom line is if you want ultimate noise cancelling wear the clamps. I personally hate wearing the clamps so I will most likely keep the Mach 1. I would like to borrow someone Bose headset for a final comparison.

The biggest issue is the ERJ is just so damn noisy nothing works perfectly.

What I Like:
- Very lightweight
- Audio tone a better quality than Telex 5x5
- Built in volume control for easy adjustments. Telex you need to buy an
additional volume control.
- Music interface is good but only lowers the music by 70% No COMPLETE
mute!
- Very flexible mic boom. Better than Telex 5x5
- Plugs stay in place. Telex 5x5 tends to pull on the mold where the mic is
attached.

What I Don't Like:
- Ear Wrap around for mike boom causes conflict with wearing sunglasses. I
wear Oakleys and it wasn't too bad but it may bug you after a while.
- Watch style battery to power cell/audio interface. Company doesn't say
how long this battery will last nor how expensive to replace.
- Replacement plugs are expensive. Trying to see if I can make my own
replacements (http://store.yahoo.com/earplugstore/index.html)
- Provided case is Huge. I am looking for a smaller solution

Bottom line: If you already have a Telex 5x5 you may be good with what you have unless you are dying to have a audio interface. If the clamps don't bother you this headset most likely will not be more quiet than what you are currently using. If you haven't bought anything to date and are a rich FO like me (NOT!) the Lightspeed is worth a look. If you can find the headset at a local store to try that may be your best option.

Blue Skies!
AZPilot

Hey the Telex 5 by 5's work really well if you get the molded earpieces; they cut out most of the noise..... and work nicely with an IPOD too

SlapShot said:
where can you get molded earpieces?

Pretty much any hearing aid store. I got mine at Sears. They know exactly what you want if you tell them what headset you are trying to use them with. They create the impression and then send them out to create the actual molds. Prices vary so I would call around.

Latest resources

Back