• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

EFB's in Lears

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would check out Flight Deck Resources. www.flightdeckresources.com. We have the Skytab 770. I like it a lot. It doesn't have a hard drive or disk drive built in. It's all flash memory. It's not as fast as our laptop, but it's small, light, and has no moving parts. We are running Jeppview Flight Desk and Ultranav and it loads the programs quickly and has a great display. The customer support is great. The battery life is a couple of hours with out the standby battery, with the standby battery it's about 6 hours. External power is suggested. If you have any questions let me know. I like the size the best. Some of the units out there are way to big to be used in a light jet cockpit.

Where do you store that thing in the 31A cockpit? If its permanently mounted, is it in a position where it can be seen and used by both pilots?

While we are on the EFB topic.

Does anyone have an aircraft printer that they can recommend for an EFB. Small, portable, relialble, color..........

We were having a discussion the other day:
Does anyone know what the FAA's interpretation of the EFB is? By interpretation, I mean, does your FISDO still require a paper chart back up to be printed? Is a paper chart even required for an IFR flight?

The Skytap that we use is not permanently mounted. We keep it in a case between the seats. It's really pretty small.

There is an explanation of the FAA's interpretation in Advisory Circular AC 120-76a. It is a pretty easy read and describes the different "classes" of EFB's. We do keep a printer on board a small cannon color printer, and we are printing our destination and alternate airports. We are only using one EFB and I think what we are doing is above and beyond the FAA's requirements. But the Advisory Circular describes in detail what needs to be done. I can send you the AC on PDF if you would like it, let me know.

Thanks fellas!

We are working with FDR and should demo some units soon. I like the size of the 770's but the 800 is a considerably more capable unit. We're leaning towards one of each but the demo may change that. We intend to install an outlet on the back of the console and get the units/installation approved by our FSDO for the occasional 135 flying we do.

Has anyone had any issues with leaving the units in a hot or cold airplane (Phoenix in July or Minneapolis in January for example) overnight?

I hear Jeppesen is as excited as anyone with the technology, can't say I blame them!!!!!

I am currently working on getting 135 approval for EFB in our Challenger 604. We just ordered a Fujitsu FG-4000 unit. Here is what I've been told (seems to differ by FSDO like everything else):

Part 91: Requires an LOA. Need to operate for 6 months with paper charts onboard, then full approval will be granted.

Part 135: Same as Part 91 requirements, but two units are required and Ops Spec A025 will be issued instead of the LOA

By "paper charts onboard" all that you are required to have are charts from the departure, destination, and alternate airports. This means that with the JeppView charts, you can print paper charts (a few pages) and be on your way. It doesn't mean you need a set of NOS or Jepps onboard. I think for 135 they want some sort of printer. We are using the fax machine onboard (which has a serial port) as a printer for the unit. Haven't gotten any true operational experience with the unit yet, still writing procedures and getting approvals.

We are also testing the waters with getting approval for paperless cockpit using an Avidyne EX00 MFD in our King Air. I've talked them into it, but need to have a laptop onboard with all the charts loaded as well. We'll see how it goes. Anyone have any 135 experience with these units that can answer some questions??

G4G5 said:
While we are on the EFB topic.

Does anyone have an aircraft printer that they can recommend for an EFB. Small, portable, relialble, color..........

At the previous operator I worked for I purchased a HP rechargeable portable printer. It worked great when the need arose to print a chart or two. Take a look at the HP website and you'll find them. I belive there are two models. One wired and one with a nicad battery. If I remember correctly it was around $250.00.

Regards,
S.H.

Latest resources

Back